What was it that got you interested in crafting?

I started crocheting to help with my anxiety symptoms. My therapist recommended it and frankly I thought it was silly but I gave it a try and its been so helpful! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: So I am curious, what was it that got you interested in crafting?

12 Likes

I just got bored over quarantine!

11 Likes

I love that!! I’ve heard a lot of people say the same thing and they fell in love with crafting! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

When I was like 7 years old my mom came up to my room with her Nana’s crochet hook (we still have it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) and a skein of yarn, and she taught me the chain stitch! She was a little rusty though so we tried going back in rows, I think we kinda got it but I’m really not sure even to this day :sweat_smile: but anyways in April of 2019 my Aunt came for a visit and taught me basic stitches and I blew up! I have CreativeBug through our library and I immediately started crocheting Twinkie Chan’s fruit amigurumis! From then on I made lots of fruits and veggies - her blueberry pattern was the first amigurumi I ever made and came up as a beautiful disaster the first time I did it :joy: but as I kept trying it worked out! :hugs:

11 Likes

I started as a way to stop smoking. Also, needed something for my fidgityness. I was getting irritated that Candy Crush, bejewelled etc was helping with that but such a waste of time.
I didn’t think crochet would be all consuming, so MANY different WAYS to do it (always something new to master), so CALMING, so productive, and so much fun.
Didn’t quit smoking, but vape now. Haven’t played a silly &$:: game on the phone for over 12 years now.

6 Likes

I always love arts & crafts for as long as I could remember… :yum:
Kinda runs in the family, I guess… :blush:

7 Likes

aww that sounds like such a sweet memory! :pleading_face: and Twinkie Chans patterns are some of my favs!! I’m obsessed with food themed crochet so much so I always enjoy her patterns! :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

I started learning during quarantine but gave up after starting a blanket that was way too big and boring. I saw some fun chenille yarn at the dollar tree about a year and a half ago and decided to pick it up and get back into crochet. Been doing it almost daily ever since :slight_smile: (still never finished that blanket though)

8 Likes

My cousin started to learn to knit. I got curious and wanted to learn too. Was more interested in crocheting plushies, tho, and haven’t stopped since. I dream of finally knitting a garment I could wear.

The satisfaction I feel everytime I finish a project is incomparable.

8 Likes

I turned 5 on the plane to the Philippines when the U.S Navy was still there. My mom gifted me a set of crafting books for kids. My obsession grew from there. Anything from paper beads to crochet. If it looks like something I’d like to do or try I go for it.

7 Likes

So true! I feel so happy every time I finish a project it’s seriously the best feeling!

7 Likes

Sameeee! :grin:

7 Likes

You should check out this @NessasKnots

6 Likes

I’d always been somewhat interested in crafts because I used to help my mum make cards when I was younger. During the first few month of lockdown in 2020, my Nana sent me a crochet kit for a toy sheep in the post as a gift because she thought it would be a fun thing for me to do while I was stuck at home. I’d never crocheted before so I taught myself by watching YouTube videos and since then it’s just gradually taken over my life haha

7 Likes

@anoswaldoddity oh my gosh I absolutely love the waffle bag!! I am going to need to make that someday! :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

I went to a group and there was a lady there who was crocheting. I couldn’t stop staring. By the end of the group she’d finished the blanket she’d been working on and it looked incredible. The next time we went she taught me how to make a granny square and that was it! :bangbang:

8 Likes

I got bored and was very impressed with everyone else amigurumi

8 Likes

I loveee amigurumi too that’s what I mostly make :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

I was around 8 years old when my grandma first showed me how to crochet, it has now been 21 years later and I am still crocheting. A friend who streams got me into cross stitching last year around June and I’ve been doing that since too. I love crafting, its relaxing even when patterns are sometimes a challenge(in a good way!)

6 Likes

lmao but nuns at church showed me

7 Likes