Who taught you your craft?

My neighbor! Our kids are the same age and during a play date she taught me. She says she must have uncovered some former life skill because she only taught me two stitches and I suddenly was making amigurumi and graphgans :joy:. But Iā€™m so grateful she taught me something so fun and creative and useful.

11 Likes

My mum, grandma and various leaders at my Brownie troop tried to teach me knitting as a kid and for whatever reason it did not stick. So I gave up until my early 30s and with my first nephew on the way decided to try again. So I enrolled in a few workshops at my local yarn shop and really got stuck in, first with knitting and then crochet. Iā€™m so glad I tried again as it is so relaxing and it got me involved with a knitting group too.

8 Likes

I know what you mean very relaxing and so much fun. :green_heart::+1:

7 Likes

I watched an amigurumi beginner video once to make a round cat thing, that taught me the like basic crochet stitches+magic ring, and the rest I mostly learned from ribblr :grin: like the guide videos for each type of stitch is such an amazing feature

7 Likes

Awesomeā€¦your hooked. I mean crochet hookedā€¦lolā€‹:joy::joy::joy::heavy_heart_exclamation:

6 Likes

My mom taught me how to do the chain. YouTube, Pinterest and her magazines haver done the rest.

1 Like

when I was about fifteen (lets just say a LONG LONG time ago) I had a great aunt(she was basically a mawmaw). she was disabled, her one hand never formed fingers or a completed hand, it was just a lil tiny nub finger there. Anyways, she could crochet like nobodyā€™s business! She made the most awesome things. She originally tried to teach me, but at fifteen I had short patience and just couldnā€™t pick it up. fast forward to me being 21 and I kept seeing all these cute crochet amigurumi and stuff and I HAD to learn how to make them. iI went to a bookstore and bought the book Stitch and B**ch and it taught me a bit. then I went to Craftster (old website) and it taught me a bit. of course youtube finished it out. So between books and the internet and lots of practice, thats how I learned. but it all started with that lil chain my great aunt taught me.

2 Likes

Taught myself. From books. 50 years ago so no Internet then.

3 Likes

My gran taught me back in the 1980s. I used to go along to her guild group meet ups during the school holidays. She taught me to crochet and knit, and made sure I could read and understand patterns. I also remember her teaching me all the different crochet techniques; broomstick, hairpin, Tunisian, tapestry, etc I then took a few decades off and came back to it in 2013. I went on to teach others, Granny was so proud of me. She watched me build my crochet business & subsequently becoming a designer too. Sadly she didnā€™t get to see my first magazine publication as she died when the initial discussions took place. Three years later I took over a local yarn shop, she would have loved it and is very much a part of it. If it wasnā€™t for her teaching me all those years ago, I wouldnā€™t own a yarn shop, be a crochet teacher or a designer.

2 Likes

Taught myself with a bunny kit and Facebook videos from @weewoollywonderfuls when my daughter was small.

2 Likes

My mother.
Love her šŸ©·

1 Like

From an early age I did so many different crafts like most kids, trying things at brownies and school etc. My mum taught me how to knit when about 10. I only went back to that properly when my son was born and I made him a blanket from squares in moss stitch. Everything else has been self exploration especially papercrafting. Crochet really improved after tutorage of my good friend @FayeLamb of Unravel and Unwind.

2 Likes

Youtube and my grandmaā€‹:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

i totally forgot to say that my grandma gave me my love of being creative. She use to sew. Quilts, bunnies, all kinds of things. When I was little she would give me fabric scraps and needle/thread and let me go at it. Then I just kind of became a jack of all crafts. I crochet, sew, paint work with clay. You name it :sweat_smile: I learned everything else by google, Craftster, library books, friends, and youtube. thereā€™s probably other sources I canā€™t remember right now.

2 Likes

I have been basically been teaching myself to crochet but my cousins got me into it

1 Like