Why is this happening

Generally when I crochet I understand the pattern and it seems fine but the problem is the holes. Everytime I crochet it always ends up with holes in the stitches. What do you suggest I do?

11 Likes

maybe it’s your tension, how tight or loose you’re holding the yarn and making the stitches

5 Likes

That might be it, I’m not rlly sure I’ll try the next time I work on a project. Thank you!

4 Likes

Sometimes it’s your hook size, so maybe next time try using a smaller hook

5 Likes

Alr I’ll try that thank you!

4 Likes

Ya, I would recommend the smaller hook size, as well as using invisible decreases if you don’t already, there are many tutorials online for it

6 Likes

Are you using the hook size your yarn is recommending? If so I recommend going down a size or two, it helps with the holes. It could also be too tight of a tension so your hook isn’t small enough for the stitches and leave holes. Or even your hook being the perfect size but too loose of a tension.

4 Likes

Not gonna repeat what everyone else said, but that should all work! Yarn under also helps keep stitches tighter opposed to yarn over.

4 Likes

Use a smaller hook! You shoukd always use a hook 1-2 sizes smaller than the yarn recommended.

4 Likes

I agree with everyone else but also… you can get holes by using a hook that’s too small! It sounds counter-intuitive given that a hook that is too big will produce holes, but getting the right hook to yarn size is a bit of a goldilocks situation. The hook diameter/width should be about 10% larger than the yarn imo.

If you’re using the yarn and hook recommended by the pattern, it’s probably your tension or technique (e.g. whether you are tightening the stitches). If you’re using a different yarn or a different hook size, it could be that. Sometimes it’s just that you’ll see fewer holes as you do more projects because your technique has improved.

2 Likes