Yarn issues,

Can you see the difference in size between the two legs? They’re both the same number of rows, same hook. One yarn’s thicker than the other. :frowning: They’re both Red Heart pink camo yarn but they’re from two different skeins, one an older ball. Colors have changed lately, but the thickness? Beware. Ahhhhh
(#Istilllovethishobby)

UPDATE … Frogged the smaller leg and remade it with the new skein. Much better now!

13 Likes

I know you said that the size difference was from using different skeins, but perhaps it was having different tension as well! As I’m sure you know our tension can change based on our mood (frustrated=tighter calm=looser), which makes projects like this even harder :pensive:

7 Likes

Tension can definitely change. But mine is usually pretty steady. 45 years of practice. :joy: This was different yarn thicknesses. I’ll attach another picture that might show it. Red Heart has had issues (maybe other yarns also). Issues because of Covid 19 and production. They changed the yellow yarn color (in the middle of my c2c blanket … not really, but that’s when I noticed it.) I emailed them about it. They never changed the name. And, it still says no lot number. This is the yarn.

8 Likes

Ah I see, that little difference in the yarn can definitely change a lot

6 Likes

Hmmm that’s peculiar…. I’m glad you figured it out though! :blush:

4 Likes

I understand your concer it happened with me just slight change in yarn or tension or even the way you worked your way little different from the pattern will be slightly change.

This is one of the examples, one leg i change little on the base when worked as the pattern the differences shows so i remake the leg again as i did and had the same results (circled with red) the other one out the circle is the one I followed exactly the pattern and really change the shape alot. Also i had different length with arms, i remake it again but still the lenght one shorter than another, so don’t know what the problem is it the skeins or tension or maybe the stuffing.

7 Likes

Yes, stuffing can definitely change things. I have to stuff both together so they stuff the same. All of the above you wrote can make changes. Your 3 shoes all look the same to me, except the stuffing. Good job on them. The arms are close. Maybe you could stretch it a bit. I don’t think it will be noticeable on the doll. You need a picture update on your journal. I love the hair. :grin:

My comment was more to make people aware to compare skeins, when starting a new one. The company changed the yarn. I like it better thicker, just wasn’t aware in advance of using it.

6 Likes

Yes I think you are right the thickness been changed than before even from the same range of yarn somecolors been different in thickness with other even if they are from the same brand and the name range.

Thanks alot will keep updating, your work aswell looks good and i likebthe outcomes ofbthe dolls. Yes you’re right its slightly different but still can’t feel comfortable with it so need to redo and try doing it again until reaching something you are comfortable with, when I feel its not what i want I just leave it aside to come back and focus better witht it. :green_heart::green_heart::green_heart:

6 Likes

Good job. Your doll will be amazing!

5 Likes

Thanks alot dear, yours too. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::green_heart:

4 Likes

Yes. Sadly. I made 2 huge chess kings for my grandson. In black and white. The black was huge, the white, not so much. :confused:

It’s good to know you have to pay attention to that. So, if we can help just one person …

4 Likes

Yes you are right sometimes if the thickness vary from two different colours, the thinner one I use two stripes f4om the same color which help to build the desired thickness and won’t be much differences between them. Try that and check hope it may help in that.

4 Likes

It may have fixed my leg issue, if I didn’t have more of the new skein. Good point.

3 Likes

I had a change of colour in the Caron One Pound (no dye lot) I used for an afghan I made for my dad for Christmas a few years ago. It only showed up when I took a picture of it when I blocked it! I was so happy you can’t see it when you look at the blanket in real life. :blush: Since then I try to avoid yarn that doesn’t have a dye lot.

7 Likes

I made a cute holly Christmas potholder last year. (I do have the chart but not listed yet.) Anyway, after I was finished I took it outdoors to get natural lighting for the picture. Then I could see two colors of white … Arggg. Looked fine indoors. :confused:

By the way, I love your blanket.

4 Likes

Could be that the old ball was wound tightly thus stretching out the yarn which can make it thinner.

6 Likes

Interesting thought. Could be I guess. But that was such an extreme difference, I doubt it.

I love this. Great tips to help us be aware.

3 Likes

nice blanket!!

3 Likes

After crocheting several dolls I realized that even in the same skein the thickness can change… definitively between same brand, family like one pound but different colors…
My 2 cents :wink:

5 Likes

Good point. I have noticed that also.

3 Likes