Yarn Over or Yarn Under?

Hi! I guess i’m still new, not really sure, but i have a question about the typical spiral pattern that works up on amigurumi pieces with single crochets and so on. the spiral pattern which is on the outside, keeps ending up on the INSIDE of my pieces and i don’t know why

4 Likes

Could you share a picture?

I’m a lefty and often find that I flip crochet projects inside out while I’m working, which may be your problem.

2 Likes

Hi! I had this problem in the beginning, if you’re right handed like me then after the first couple of rounds you should make sure the right side is out. Keep making sure it’s like that until there’s some good solid shape to your project/project piece then you can just continue on with your project :blush:

1 Like

When I am working something and don’t have an obvious right side for me to follow I use a stitch marker or scrap piece of yarn to tie onto the the front side or right side. This allows me to keep track of what should be in and out.

2 Likes

i am right handed! so i’ve got an example that i bought from someone else. this clean spiral pattern here kees ending up on the inside and the more ‘messy’ stitches keep ending up on the outside. when i’m working, typically in rounds with amigurumi, i work to the left with the hook in my right hand.

the axo is what i bought. the nice pattern that’s on the outside, keeps ending up inside of mine. when i finish something, i’m having the flip it inside out which is more than annoying than anything

4 Likes

Ok so I would suggest to keep making sure it’s flipped the correct way while you’re crocheting :blush:

1 Like

Hello its a cute little, I faced this problem before on my beginning but when I keep an eye on my work and focus on the stitch shape that help me figure out what should be inside and out side of the spiral works will show photos what I mean.
Am too a right handed so work goes to the left. pictures show the Flat work what is right side (front/out) facing you & wrong side (back/in) orher side or opposite. I hope this will be helpful.

4 Likes

There’s another way comes to my mind, if you worked with magic ring there is a tail to pull and close the hole this one thing help to know the wrong side or in side, also the stitch looks like different for each sides. Photo will show it more.

Sorry to many replies just want to make more clear for you. Have a good day.

4 Likes

Just flip it inside out (or outside out) after a few rounds, or when you notice it. I have to do it often myself.

5 Likes

I have to do this often as well.

3 Likes

oh wow, i didn’t realize i need to work the opposite of my dominant hand. my pieces usually come out looking like the bottom right picture because i pull the string outside/down from the the magic ring when i do it

4 Likes