Yarn review: Hobbii Sultan Shadow

A quick review on Hobbii Cotton Kings Sultan Shadow, as it has quickly become one of my favorites.

Find it here: Sultan Shadow | Yarn | Cotton Kings - Hobbii.com

The breakdown, from Hobbii’s website:

• Brand::
    Cotton Kings

• Content:
    100% cotton

• Weight:
    200 g (7.1 oz)

• Yarn Length:
    800 m (875 yds)

• Yarn Weight:
    Sport

• Recommended needles:
    2.5 mm (US 2) - 3.5 mm (US 4)

• Knitting gauge:
    25 stitches, 34 rows to 10 cm/4"

• Recommended crochet hook:
    3.5 mm (US E-4) - 4 mm (US G-6)

• Care instructions:
    Machine wash 30°C (86°F) / Do not tumble dry

Personal review, as a crocheter:

The yarn is 100% cotton, but it can be a little rough on the fingers. I personally would limit wear directly against skin as I have a very sensitive skin, but it can definitely be worn. If you want that soft, buttery feel that feels amazing and nice against the skin, go with Twister, that is a cotton/acrylic blend.

As this is a thin yarn (Hobbii classifies this as a sport weight, but this is a 4ply and is definitely on the thinner side), it can be challenging to work with for a beginner. Be careful not to use too much tension. I recommend using a rounder hook tip with this yarn, as sharper hooks will have a tendency to catch on the loose threads.

This yarn is not spun together, it is 4 loose threads held together, with a gradient color change created by little knots at the color changes. Once worked, the color change looks very blended and natural.

If you’re having a hard time working with loose threads, Hobbii recommends threading through a bead and using it to keep the strands together as you work. I guess you would just push the bead as you work.

The recommended hook size with this is 3.5-4mm. 3.5 can be fine if you want some serious drape, but I personally like the fabric created with a 3.25mm hook more. It’s tighter and neater (see images below). Of course you’ll have to gauge swatch and see about your tension.

Sultan Shadow has 20 colorways, each of one main color gradually transitioning to a grayish black. This is not a dark gray, but rather a softer black. Some of the colorways have different colors in them to complete the gradient, like the red transitions to a midnight blue, and the yellow and orange to a blueish gray, before ending in the black.

Cotton Kings has a few different ranges of this yarn with themed colorways.
Sultan pastello has a range of 8 colorways of bright to pastel gradients

Regular Sultan has a range of no less than 55 colorways, all gemstone themed

There is also Sultan Deluxe and Sultan Deluxe Shine, more expensive, but also a bit easier to work with, and those are spun together.

As Hobbii yarns can be expensive, I recommend waiting for sales to purchase them. I’ve seen them for up to 50% off in the past. Hobbii also sells higher quantities at a discounted price (ex: buy 6 or more for x% less). Sales are frequent though, so it’s definitely worth the wait.

My personal favorites: 05, 07, 08, 10, 14, 17 and 20.

I don’t knit but if some knitters in here have tried this yarn, I would love to know in the comments! Please talk about your experience.

Worked with a 3.5 hook

Worked with a 3.25 hook

Example of how the gradient happens in a piece

23 Likes

Dang, that was an excellent yarn review Winter!

8 Likes

Thanks :flushed: I need to review more yarns for my IG. I wish I could go as detailed in stories ah ha :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I love the pastello version! I definitely need to use the rest of mine up as ive been saving them for a special day xD

5 Likes

I’d love to see what you made with them!

5 Likes

Thank you for this! I’ve eyed Sultan before but haven’t given it a try yet. Your work is beautiful :heart:

4 Likes

Thanks :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I think you should try it :black_heart:

4 Likes

They work great with mandala patterns and larger projects due to the slow transitions between colors. I don’t have a photo of the one I made but if I make another I’ll post!,

5 Likes

That sounds awesome!

2 Likes

Oh my I love how you made this review! It’s nicely separated, has important information about the yarn along with photos! I’m definitely going to look into it :smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m glad my review was helpful :blush:

3 Likes

Thank you for the review, these have been on my radar!

3 Likes

Recently I’ve been crochet more with yarn weight sport. And i’m in love with these colors so I’ll be defnetly buying this yarn for my next projects. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Glad to hear it!

3 Likes

These look AMAZING! I have to look for some of this yarn!

2 Likes

They are a delight to work with!

2 Likes

Love this yarn! It’s one of my favorites to use.

3 Likes

ahhh so pretty

3 Likes

This is such an amazing review and the pieces look great! I just received some Sultan Shadow actually and have been resisting starting to work with it until I finish my current project. I’m very excited now!

3 Likes

Give in to the temptation… you know you want to :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes