Yarn subs for this ?

Hi everyone!

I found a job recently where i have to sew a lot by hand so i have no more time or motivation at home for anything else than knitting.

I purchased a pattern of a jumper but I have no idea of what could be the yarn used in this.
The yarn mentioned is " Emu Superwash 100% wool" i checked on Google but found nothing :upside_down_face:

The pattern is pretty old and i guess itā€™s a UK national brand like BergĆØre de France for me.
Does someone already have heard about that yarn ?
What kind of yarn should i take for sub ?
Here are the pattern infos :

10 Likes

Hopefully someone will have a more helpful response for you, but thereā€™s a couple things I do when I come across a yarn that is unfamiliar or vintage.

Iā€™ll search the brand on etsy/ebay to see if anyone is selling it, but since thatā€™s rare Iā€™ll then try to see if I can find it on Yarnsub which does a great job of finding comparable yarns for whatever youā€™re seeking (so long as it is in their database). If I strike out there, I look to see if anyone on knitting/yarn sites has more details or a yarn page that offers alternatives. Sometimes you can also search the pattern itself and see recommended yarn alternatives or find people who have made it more recently and see what yarn they use.

However, luckily the pattern gives you some details about the yarn which makes finding a substitute a little easier. Itā€™s a 1. wool-based (animal/natural fiber) 2. (4 ply) fingering weight yarn, criteria that makes for a great jumping off point for searching yarns and, hopefully, finding a match that works well for you! I donā€™t have a lot of experience with fingering weight, and not any wool ones at that, so I sadly canā€™t recommend any, but I hope others may be able to guide you better there. :dizzy:

4 Likes

The recommended wool is a 4ply meaning you can substitute for your local brand in that weight.

I would then recommend you care for your finished item by following the label instructions on your wool.

5 Likes

Hello!
I searched on Etsy for Emu Superwash Wool and itbis available in several colors. It is considered a double knit yarn (a.k.a. DK #3). Here is a clipping of the page:

Hope this helps.

5 Likes

4-ply is not a good indication of yarn weight.
WEIGHTS are referred to as follows:

download

As you can see, there are 4-ply yarns in various weights.

Weights refer to the thickness of a yarn, while plys refer to how many strands of yarn are twisted together.

For instance, twisting together 4 strands of thread is much thinner than twisting together 4 strands of roving; however, both will be referred to as 4-ply.

Hope this simple description helps a little, of course there are so nany other things that can cause each yarn to perform differently, even between the same weights. My favorite. AND GO TO METHOD to determine a substitute yarn is to do the WPI (Wraps Per Inch). This way I know that even the same ā€œweightā€ yarn will work the same. This article is worth copying and reading:

Hereā€™s anither link with a link ti a really cool WPI keychain to use when shopping:

4 Likes

Thank you both of you for all those replies really bc i felt kinda lost. I ordered a skein of DMC 100% baby it worth the try and if not accurate i could make myself socks hehe . And it permitted me to buy another Cricut mat bc mine is dead and i bought everything on the same shop.

@Cro-Quiltin iā€™ll check the article you mentionned in the case my try is not a success :face_with_hand_over_mouth: also i found another skein on ravelry but with different label, as you said itā€™s very rare bc it has been edited before i was born in the early 90ā€™s :joy:

Iā€™ll try a sample with DMC and letā€™s see what happens. Thank you again :heart:

3 Likes

Also donā€™t forget to do a gauge swatch to test that your yarn is the right thickness for the needles specified, otherwise you might need to adjust your needle size accordingly. Good luck!

4 Likes

Yeah sure ! :blush: Thank you :heart:

i donā€™t know why I choose to knit a full jumper when summer is almost here :joy:

Maybe because itā€™s relaxing and i donā€™t need less focusing than at my job :joy:

4 Likes

It seems like you chose already but a good site to check is yarn subs since they provide a lot of information on what the yarn you searched is similar and different with :grin:

Hi ! Yeah but as this yarn is vintage itā€™s not referenced on Yarn Sub, thatā€™s why i posted here at first :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Oof :persevere:

1 Like