A Question About Absent Testers.

I was curious to see if there are any resources to help track testers. Is there a way to see designs tested? I ask because I generally accept 5-6 testers and often have 1-3 respond or finish, with practically half completely ghosting me. Is this the case for other makers?

14 Likes

I dont know if u can see it, but you could have them use the journal feature and add pictures to it, so you can tracks their progress.

6 Likes

Happens all the time. My current test needed 4, I think I ended up accepting 14, but only 6 made to the actual pattern phase.
this is what makes the ribblr testing platform so special compared to the other pdf/ig formats you see out there with all the hoops and threats
You have complete control.
If you assign a pattern to a tester, that pattern can be locked at a certain point. After everyone has met the requirements ( I like to see a journal entry with a picture of the yarn they plan to use) you can open up part of the pattern and remove those that did not respond in time.
Nobody walked away with a copy of your pattern, and you can request updated journals along the way to check on progress and who needs to be gotten in touch with.
(the journals can only be seen by you until you publish the pattern, even when set to public)

8 Likes

But what if they still flake out and never respond? I guess at the end of the testing phase they’re not giving a free pattern for testing.

4 Likes

if they flake out and never respond to anything then they never got the pattern to begin with, if you already had them as a tester, then just remove them ans add them to the list of people you do not pick as testers next time

5 Likes

it’s annoying, but it’s the trade-off for not paying a professional tester/editor

6 Likes

I guess I never had considered that some people will pay to have patterns tested. I have used other places to test before (namely Facebook groups), but people usually at least mention if they took on too much and can’t finish. At least as a courtesy. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I guess it never occurred to me to ask for a journal and intended yarn first before just opening patterns to testers. I generally hand them out when I leave a comment saying “you’re in” on pattern test announcements.

3 Likes

yeah, you can lock the pattern at any point and keep moving the lock point

3 Likes

This happens to me for almost EVERY test. My most recent paid one i gave it to all my testers. one said they couldn’t make it for the due date. I said that i could extend it for them but they never responded back. I had another one that just never replied back then when i posted another tester call to replace them they got frustrated at me. I asked them multiple times to check if they just dismissed their notifications and didn’t see it bc i do that sometimes too. They were posting but never responded back to my messages. ;(

3 Likes

Do i have any oatterns for you i havent completed*?

3 Likes

I had an open call over the holidays, any one pattern that didn’t have 2 or more makes on it yet could be picked to test, 2 month time frame, no rules.
I had one irate person that messaged me weeks after I had closed it down and did all the removing of the ones that never finished. I politely sent them the screenshots of the 3 attempts I had made to contact them over the course of a month and asked them to let me know if they still thought I was being unfair. I never heard back.
Some people just want to hoard free things and don’t realize that here, you can remove it.

7 Likes

nope!

3 Likes

My question is this, what do you do with the people that start and get like part way done, but not in time. And they don’t respond and there is no journal. Should I just remove them or make one last attempt.

5 Likes

I don’t get upset about it unless I see that the person has been giving me a lot of excuses then took on and completed other tests in the time I was waiting. Even then, I don’t get upset, I just take it away from them.

5 Likes

remove them. You gave the deadline and offered an extension.

6 Likes

I always make a group convo with all my testers so I can keep track of them. If you press on their username at the top, I think it shows you all their messages on the board or something? I don’t quite remember how, but the function exists.

What really bothers me is those who are not responding to your messages, but you see them applying to every other tester call in the forum :grimacing:

Now I simply delete & blacklist them if I don’t hear from them.

5 Likes

yes you can remove but i just feel like they take screenshots of the pattern

4 Likes

I don’t believe so? I haven’t done too many here yet. Maybe 4?

3 Likes

Ribblr sends warnings when you take screenshots on the website. And I think they can issue bans if it happens too much?

5 Likes