About "No Sew" patterns

Hi!^^ Quick question : I noticed that a lot of designers here advertise their patterns as " no sew ", and I was wondering if crocheters here dislike sewing or is it just a way to encourage beginners ? What are your thoughts on sewing amigurumi ?

I personally think that there are sometimes too many patterns that din’t include clear instructions on how to assemble your plushies at the end which is really frustrating.

So when I planned my patterns, I included an appendix with all my video sewing tutorials and lots of tips and tricks to succeed. But now I feel like maybe Ribblr is not the best place to publish patterns with sewing because maybe sewing deters people here ? :thinking: What do you think? :laughing:

20 Likes

I believe it helps promote beginners. I know when I started doing stuffed animals I had a hard time getting the arms in the right places. I do believe that if you have a pattern where the limbs are created first then crocheted in as you go is a tremendous help.

13 Likes

I try to use no sew patterns because I make plushies to sell and I just sew really slowly lol

14 Likes

Honestly I think it’s just what you prefer for me I have a mix of sewing and no sew patterns in my shop​:sewing_needle: I don’t really have anything against sewing I just find no sew easy to work up! :smile:

13 Likes

Oh yeah that totally makes sense, thanks! never thought of that :blush:

9 Likes

I see :blush: you’re right, it must come down to personal preference in the end :grin: thank you for your input ^^

12 Likes

Oh and btw I love your plushies in your shop they are very cute! :sparkling_heart:

10 Likes

Thank you so much, that’s very kind :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:

10 Likes

I see :blush: I think it has a lot to do with your designing style as well and what you’re aiming for in terms of levels of details :thinking: Thank you for your input :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

No problem :wink:

9 Likes

I’d say it’s half and half. While many don’t like no sew it does have its rewards. You can definitely up your skills with different methods.
My favorite way to no sew is make the item and sc through it and into the body. I don’t mind sewing but however it depends on the design. I personally love details it adds personality to the design as well.

9 Likes

I second the replies! I am not against sewing, but no sew is relatively quicker to make and good for selling finished makes and inventories for markets because of the time saved.

There is also aligning the parts, so I think patterns with good details on placement and instructions on sewing are greatly appreciated.

There are definitely patterns though that do look cuter, more beautiful or can only be achieved with sewing :blush:

10 Likes

When I was a beginner, I often chose patterns with no sew as I did not have the right needles or tools to complete a pattern with sewing. Now that I consider myself more experienced, I prefer patterns with sewing because it allows for more complex shapes and allows more customisation.
Please still publish your patterns here, there are still plenty of people who like patterns with sewing.

9 Likes

Yes, it’s definitely another approach to designing!:grin: I’m often blown away by what Complicated Knots does, she’s a crochet artist on youtube and the way she makes certains shapes using backposts and 3 stitches inc was really new to me but taught me new perspectives :smile_cat:

But yeah, I like details too!:grin: Thank you for your reply :grin:

6 Likes

Yes, it’s true that time is something to take into consideration when you sell finished products. It is not something that I thought about because I have often wrist pain due to tendinitis and cannot crochet too much, so selling is clearly not in the cards for me :sob:

Yes, I agree about aligning everything correctly. :grin: I always make sure to indicate the row and so on with pictures to be extra clear :grin:

Overall yes, amigurumi have so many different styles and sizes, the possibilities are endless :smile_cat: Thank you for your input :grin:

4 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from :grin: I think it really is a matter of personal preference in the end :blush:
Thank you, I will keep my patterns here then :grin: Thank you for talking the time to reply :smile_cat:

6 Likes

I prefer no or low sew because i just suck at it and they hardly ever turn out like the pictures lol if theyre no sew it sould turn out the same or close to :tipping_hand_woman:

6 Likes

Personally I love no-sew patterns for market prep since they are faster and typically great for a cheaper item but there are quite frankly patterns that just look much better if pieces are sewn on instead of worked up in the rounds. But I have quite a few no-sew that I use for $5-$10 items at markets!

6 Likes

I understand, I used to be the same and I was sooo frustrated :laughing: I like no sew for chunky project s with chrnil yarn I think ^^

6 Likes

I typically only crochet with chunky yarn so no-sew patterns usually work out pretty well! I actually have not tried a no-sew pattern with a thinner yarn yet

6 Likes