Amigurumi

I want to learn how to do crochet amigurumi but idk where to start. is there a certain kind of yarn i should use bc im would be a beginner at amigurumi? or, would the yarn size not matter since im not a beginner crocheter? please help crochet friends​:purple_heart:

15 Likes

Worsted weight is good

8 Likes

Hey! You can start off with a bigger weight yarn like Sierra said earlier. You can use yarn that requires 5mm hook and higher, like chenille yarn, etc. You can do a few projects with thicker yarn since it works up faster and it’s easier to learn. You could also start off by making simple shapes and use some of the beginner patterns here on Ribblr for Amigurumi.
Amigurumi requires very tight tension and it isn’t very complicated once you get the hang of it. Then you can use any yarn and general practice is to size down on hooks to get a tighter tension unless your tension is already too tight.

If you have more specific questions, please let me know, I’d be happy to answer them for you!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’d also like to tag @Yarmihoo here! She has a lot of experience making amigurumis. I’d love to hear what you have to say @Yarmihoo :pleading_face::heart:

11 Likes

Thanks dear :green_heart: @deeps1211 for you adding me in comment, happy to help our friend @Kenshae in her journey on Amugurumis magic world, am totaly agreed what mentioned on the previous comments of @SierraCrochets07 & @deeps1211.

Will give you some tips I used, am always looking on the recommended hook size that mentioned on the yarn lable, as am not sure some times whether it worsted yarn or not. So I take the hook size as my guide. As the beginning start with hook size 4mm or 5mm and see the yarn suit them. When you work and see your stitch have a gap between each one that means you used a larger hook wihch not suiting to make Amugurumi bc the best result to have small gap and neat looks that when you start to stuff project you are working at, you will see the stuffing through the stitch which may not look nice so here you need to go smaller size of hook.

Will give you an example you bought a yarn with recommended hook size 5mm, when you worked you feel your tension loose or you can’t get it neat as you plan, here you need to reduce the size 2 numbers below so you can use 4.50mm and 4mm, and will give you the right outcomes you want. And this as well go’s if you plan to maximise your work or to make a bigger Amugurumi, you may use from 5mm to 5.50mm and 6mm, but keep aware the gaps sometimes i use 2 straps from 2 different yarn ball and I get bigger size with the final nice and neat looking.

Start with easy amigurumi like octopus, bee, whale, that had less parts and work until you feel your self ready then start to take little complicated work or project.

I :green_heart: hope helped you how to start in your journey, am here anytime you need more help and you can send me private message with the yarn you are planning to use and hook so I can help you to get the best choices to get the results you want. :green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart:

Have a great day wish the luck :+1::pray::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart:

12 Likes

thanks! I’ll check her out and I’ll let you know if I need more help on anything. Again, thanks for the advice!

6 Likes

I have some worsted yarn already so I will see what I can do with that. Thanks so much!:purple_heart:

5 Likes

When I make amigurumi stuffed animals I use a 3.75 Susan bates hook, worsted weight yarn, and poly-fill. I also use black safety eyes.

6 Likes

Cool. What brand is best to use for the yarn and the eyes? or does it not matter?

6 Likes

Honestly safety eyes don’t matter too much and I like loops and threads

6 Likes

okay. thxs

6 Likes

It really doesn’t matter. Use thicker weight yarn and a sized down hook you’re comfortable with, at least in the beginning. Safety eyes come in different sizes so choose what works best for the pattern you’re using.

6 Likes

Another general tip when stuffing crochet amigurumis is to use a little more polyfill than necessary since it will shrink a little later inside the doll.
And to stuff all the nooks and crannies of the amigurumi well. If you’re making something that has arms attached, don’t stuff the end that needs to be attached to the main part unless you want it to stick out straight. Be generous with the stuffing.
I think this tip will be more helpful when you start making more complicated amigurumis that have many parts and details.

8 Likes

Also don’t start with human like dolls they are a lot more complicated to start with. I would recommend simple animals. Or better yet a worry blob since there is minimal sewing and less details.

7 Likes

I can be your buddy here cuz I just started exploring this world and found some great blogs that I found very helpful.

Little World of Whimsy by Julia

Tiny Curl by Kristina

Shiny Happy World Tutorials on sewing and Embroidery

5 Likes

thxs. we’re in this one together.

5 Likes

@Kenshae Found a video that shows you how to stuff correctly!!!
anvisgranny. com
Go to Amigurumi for beginners- The Ultimate Guide and then she provides links for many short and to the point videos.

5 Likes

It’s more difficult with chenille yarn I would say. When you do amigurumis, you always size down the size of your hooks (it’s says on the yarn that is for 6mm hooks, you take a 5mm and so on).
It also depends if you want to make a big one like a plushy or more like to attached to your purse. For the first case I advice you to use a bigger yarn to use a 5mm hook, and for the second one to use cotton yarn with like a 3.5mm hook :slightly_smiling_face:
I hope it helps!

6 Likes

@Kenshae
Been looking for a book that has these in it and tells you how to stitch them. Don’t even know if such a book exists. But wouldn’t this be awesome to do our own amigurumi?

5 Likes

I also found another good blog @Kenshae

on amugurumi for beginners.

5 Likes

The designer of the flip flop animals I’m working on showed how to stuff toys after it’s all sewed up. My bunny’s head needed MORE stuffing and her little trick worked.
You find a hole, push a tiny hole where it’s hidden, let’s say under the arm, and start to push a little stuffing with the blade side of your scissors or something with a point. Once some of the stuffing gets in, the rest slides in using the back end of your hook, and easy to add stuffing as long a little stuffing in the hole.

5 Likes