Art Tips!

Hi! Ik a lot of you guys are awesome at art soo…
Id appreciate any tips or feedback on some animal sketches I made recently, or just general art, because I want to improve at drawing, but I don’t take any art classes :smiling_face_with_tear:
feel free to be brutally honest, I won’t be offended, I promise : p
Here they are:

Thanks!!

13 Likes

Using an eraser to make the edges less messy helps make the drawing pop. But overall your killing it keep working on it you’re doing great!!

7 Likes

Tysm!! I’ll definitely try that lol

3 Likes

Of course always love to help!

3 Likes

Mk I will be brutally honest-

HOW THE HECKIN HECK DO YOU DRAW THAT

5 Likes

Ty lol :laughing:
I sorta just draw loose shapes first, then fill in details biggest to smallest

4 Likes

ooo, that’s actually really good tho! idk what tips to give, but when smoothing/blending don’t use your finger (that creates uneven “splotches”)use a napkin or a q-tip — something like that! also, when you’re first sketching it don’t press to hard (otherwise you won’t be able to erase it) but I think u already know that-

but in the end it’s rly good lol (:

2 Likes

So good! I dont see any issues.
If you want them to stand out more, you could outline some edges more and try to add the full value scale but i promise you thats not necessary! They look so good. Practice makes improvement and just remember its ok to hate your art. Just dont quit because of it

4 Likes

Ooh ty, I always end up with dirty fingers :,)

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try to remember your tips for next time!

2 Likes

I LOVE the turtle! On the elephant I think you just need to add a couple more details in the back leg but overall amazing! My sister draws. I try, but you are so good!

2 Likes

Blending pencils are helpful too

2 Likes

There are a lot of free drawing courses online, I took some several years back to brush up but can’t recall which one. I liked that it showed good warm ups to do, ad exercises to help train your hand for better line work.
Your work looks great, keep drawing and you’ll get even better. :blush:

2 Likes

Being BRUTALLY HONEST:
This is SO GOOD!!!

this is optional but using a 0.1-0.5mm drawing marker (idk what its called) would be a very nice addition to the drawing as it makes it pop out!

2 Likes

Kneaded erasers are very helpful. You can use them for highlights and erasing just enough so you can still see your mistake and correct it and not just doing the same thing again and not realizing it.

Also you should start your sketches with a softer pencil like B2 or softer as it’s easier to build dimension over a softer pencil. Harder pencils make your softer ones glide on top of them and you cannot make it as dark as it needs to be. This only applies if you’re making a drawing. If it’s just a sketch that won’t have any highlights or shadows you can use whatever pencil you have.

As for your drawings the turtle is very good. You’ve managed to portray both the highlights and shadows amazingly. For the elephant though that is exactly what is missing. The shape is exact though the shadows are not dark enough and the highlights are not light enough. If you just work on that it’ll be an amazing drawing.

I really hope I was helpful. If you have any questions you can dm me, I’d love to answer. Also I hope I didn’t offend you, I just want to help as I think you have potential :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Oop yeah I forgot the toes :flushed:
Ty!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll have to look into some online classes soon!

2 Likes

Tysm! Is what you’re talking about a sort of skinny black marker? I might be able to look for one at my next yarn shopping trip hehe

2 Likes

Thank you for all the great tips! You didn’t offend me at all. I think I might have a crusty old kneaded eraser somewhere…

1 Like

yes! Like sakura pigma micron pens (those are quite expensive tho)

2 Likes