At what age did everybody start crocheting?

I learned to crochet during my second year of college. My maternal grandmother initially taught me in thread, which probably was how she learned to crochet. I enjoyed working with thread, but I struggled with its thinness as a new crocheter. When my paternal aunt saw me struggling, she introduced me to crocheting with yarn and bigger hooks. After I mastered working with yarn, crocheting with thread became much easier. That was over 50 years ago and I still love working with both thread and yarn. :yarn: :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

Thank you!

7 Likes

When I was 13, I learned through youtube videos and now I’ve crocheting for a year!

8 Likes

As an older adult - about 2 weeks ago :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I think I started at the age of 16 or 17 HAHAHA almost 2 years now.

8 Likes

Oh, a brand new one to crocheting! Welcome!

7 Likes

I’m 16 started 6 months ago.
Fun fact: i didn’t like crocheting in school at all but now I love it

10 Likes

I was 19yo and I wanted a Totoro plushie so I decided to make it by teaching myself how to crochet through YouTube haha. It’s been 8 years now. I still havent gotten the courage to design patterns but maybe this is the year :blush:

10 Likes

I was 12. Without the internet, I learned from the special intructions in patterns. I’m 56 now. Thanks to youtube I have learned so many new techniques and am able to do many more complicated projects.

7 Likes

I dont remember which grade, but i know it was somewhere through 3-5 grade, and now im in 7th, and just started picking up the hobby again a few months ago! Glad i came back to make more after some simple bracelets

9 Likes

I learned the basics years ago, made a scarf and quit. At the time I was more into doing paintings. About two years ago my oldest started crocheting and it inspired me to pick it up again. I’m 40 now and I wish I’d started sooner! I love it.

8 Likes

Aww congrats that’s great! Starting this young there will be no stopping you!

7 Likes

11 or 12, not super long considering im 13 now but i’ve definitely improved a lot in that time! :3

9 Likes

I started when I was 16! I’m now coming up to my 18th birthday, crocheting for 1.5 years!

7 Likes

I started learning around age 11, I’m going to be 15 on the 30th! It’s been a journey and Ive learned so much.

8 Likes

I taught myself in 09… I was 30. Since then I’ve become pretty good at simple things but I haven’t tried any hard patterns. I need quick return- I get distracted so easily :grimacing:

5 Likes

Welcome to Ribblr! @Craftandcloth

Also, you might like doing amigurumi for that quick finish! I started after 12 years of crocheting everything else. Just a thought. :wink:

5 Likes

I just started last year, and I’m 11

8 Likes

Well, welcome @Elliott!

5 Likes

I learned the begining of 2023 st age 13

6 Likes