Can anybody help me with this math problem?

So im stuck on this homework question and i dont have any help atm, and google isnt helping at all, so i have turned to ths only resource i know… you guys!
If anybody knows how to do finance homework, or can explain things to a 7th grader i would like to pass the STAAR next week. I will put a picture of the problem down below.

The homework is due by midnight… i would appreciate some help.

17 Likes

I don’t get it :sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

I would love to help but I dont know… AND IM IN ALGEBRA :sob:

5 Likes

okay, so a rebate is an amount of money a company gives you as a “refund” after you buy an item. (Say, like, a Costco membership, where they’ll give you your “savings”) They’re essentially asking how much money you have to pay. Discount 1 is a 10% discount PLUS $250 off. Discount 2 is a 5% discount PLUS $700 off. Hope that helps, if not I can try to explain better (:

2 Likes

So first take the og price multiple by .10 (10%) that is what you will pay then subtract the $250(?) that you can mail in and that is the total amount you paid.
Then you compare it to the 2nd part where we multiply og amount by .05 (5%) and then subtract $700 for the mail in rebate to get the total for that payment. Then look at your answers and see which is true. Let me know if this helps​:blush:

2 Likes

you wouldn’t be multiplying them by just 10 or 5%, that is the amount you take off. you can either subtract that from the total or multiply by 90%/95%

1 Like

You have to do the steps in order
Og x.10 equals the 10% discount.
Take discount subtract from of total
Then subtract the mail in rebate
That gets you the amount that is paid.

6 Likes

Yeah so I got really confused with what you both were saying I apologize if I didn’t say that cuz I was getting really overwhelmed by it so I just like you know what I’m going to take a guess I guess the right answer. I don’t got me wrong I tried both of your ways and I wasn’t getting results so I was like okay the best guess I’m going to take is this random guess I got a 100

4 Likes

Sorry.

2 Likes

You are good I’m sorry we couldn’t help. I love math but trying to explain it in writing is not my thing. Good look with your STAAR exam(?)

3 Likes

I’m sorry I’m late to this, but it looks like you would take the original amount and figure out it’s discount first,
So 1,450 x 0.10 for a 10% discount
Take that total, and subtract it from 1,450
That gives you the sale price.
Then take that sale price and subtract the rebate of 250 from the sale price to give you the actual total paid

And to take 5% off, you would multiply it by 0.05
And then take that number and subtract it from the 1,450, then take that total and subtract it’s rebate of 750

This is just what I’ve always done figure out sale prices

4 Likes

So to calculate you would need to work out the amount of discount, then subtract that from the original amount, then subtract the rebate from that to get the final amount the customer would pay.

The math for discount 1 would be:
1450 x 0.10 = 145
1450 - 145 = 1305
1305 - 250 = 1055

And for discount 2:
1450 x 0.05 = 72.5
1450 - 72.5 = 1377.5
1377.5 - 700 = 677.5

So with discount one the customer would pay $1,055.00, and $677.50 with discount 2. Therefore the only true statement would be the 2nd one.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

hey i’m pretty sure you got the question answered already but if you need a further explanation or more math help feel so free to message me! i’m in algebra 2 honors and also work as a math tutor so i’d hope i could be helpful (:

4 Likes

Sorry I saw this too late but I did this whole problem for you and got option 2. I love math and my friends always joke I could be their tutor/teacher because they understand it easier when I explain. I used @Hikagekittysama instructions and it worked super well! Hope you ace your STAAR! :smile:

2 Likes

its 1055$

Absolutely correct :+1:

If you have done this the answer to the second one is not offered as an answer to the question.

Ikr(full sentence)