Chinese crochet pattern terms

Iā€™ve been poking through xiaohongshu (an app kinda like instagram or pinterest) collecting crochet patterns that i may or may not make lol, but the way that patterns are written is pretty different from us or uk terminology. If anyone else wanted to try some Chinese crochet patterns from that app (which is free and downloadable from the usa and probably other places), thought I might share how some terms translate over.
(As a note, neither my Chinese level nor my crochet skills are very high, so I only know some of the basic stitches and terms)

(From US terms)

• Single crochet: X
  • Half double crochet: T
  • Double crochet: F
  • Treble crochet: E
  • Increase: V (if for a non-single crochet stitch, follows the symbol, like FV for dc increase)
  • Decrease: A (same thing, FA is dc decrease)
  • Skip stitch: K (for ē©ŗ针 kong zhen, smth like ā€œempty stitchā€)
    (Some terms like chain and slip stitch are the same, like CH and S or SL)

So something in US terms like ā€œ(sc, inc) x 6ā€ would be written something like ā€œ6(x, v)ā€.

I thought it was pretty neat that rather than using letters that represent the word, they mainly use letters that represent the symbol like in crochet diagrams. Youā€™d still need to be able to read some amount of Chinese to be able to fully understand patterns written this way though :smiling_face_with_tear: but i thought itā€™d be something cool to share, and google translate might help carry you the rest of the way.

(And for searching for patterns, ā€œcrochetā€ is 钩针, and to find posts with patterns included, look for or add é™„å›¾č§£ ā€œpattern attachedā€)

63 Likes

ooo thatā€™s cool! i know chinese so that would definitely be fun to try! thanks for sharing!

8 Likes

Thatā€™s really interesting! Thanks for sharing.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting! Thanks for sharing :relaxed:

6 Likes

I have to check this out!

6 Likes

I want to ask what M, MR, W and is there a difrent between X and x

7 Likes
2 Likes

Heyo! I sent a reply to your message but just in case anyone else needs it, M is triple decrease and W is triple increase, so theyā€™re like A and V but with 1 more stitch. Similarly, if you see something like FW, that means you do 3 double crochets into 1 stitch.
Iā€™m not sure what MR since since I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen it before, but it could just be magic ring, depending on where you might have seen it.
And thereā€™s no difference between X and x, since uppercase and lowercase donā€™t make a different. Similarly, you might see t, f, e, instead of T, F, E, but theyā€™re the same thing. Uppercase just makes the letters look more like the crochet diagram symbol. Hope this helps!

12 Likes

I donā€™t know if I can edit the original post anymore, but I found another stitch that I missed the first time:
G: quadruple crochet
I had to use this one recently haha so adding it now

Additionally, parentheses can either mean that you repeat whatā€™s inside for however many times it specifies, or it means you do all the stitches in one stitch. For example, if you see (2x, v)6, that would mean you do (2sc, inc) six times, going from 18 stitches to 24. But if you see something like (FV, ch5, FV) with no number attached to the parentheses outside, then that means you do dc inc, ch5, dc inc all in the same stitch. Itā€™s a little confusing but after a while itā€™s relatively easy to tell the difference, I think. They might also use brackets like [] or {} or 怐怑instead idk

8 Likes

I have a pattern that Iā€™m trying to translate. They use the term ā€œDONā€, any idea what this means? TIA!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting! I am very unfamiliar with Chinese, but I do know some French, and Iā€™ve been thinking about branching out into some French patterns. I can see with the Chinese how some of it relates to the symbols for crochet charts, though!

2 Likes

wow!!! this is such an amazing resource! thank you for creating this list, i always wanted to try a chinese crochet pattern since thereā€™s such cool patterns out there >w< thx again for sharing!

2 Likes

hello, sorry for such a late reply!! But aaa im not familiar with that one, and couldnt find it by looking it up either :frowning:

2 Likes

I NEEED THIS! My grandmother is into crocheting, but she can only to video tutorials in chineseā€¦

3 Likes

I might check that out, thanks! I have never looked at chinese patterns, but I know Ive seen a bunch of japanese pattern books Id love to get my hands on!

3 Likes

So if a pattern says 3(x,v) it basically means (sc,inc) three times? And with 2(2x,v,2x) means (2 sc, inc, 2sc) two times?

4 Likes

Yep, you got it!

3 Likes

Just so everyone is aware, a lot of the patterns on there are taken from the original creator (usually paid) and sharing it without their permission. If you see something you really like, plz consider checking the original creator and buying the pattern (if you can).

4 Likes

How about 2T ? does rhag mean 2 hdc cluster or just 2 hdc

2 Likes

Iā€™m trying to read a pattern right now with the poster tips, but I found something confusing. The pattern says, to make hands:
1-14.6X=6

That would mean:
R1-R14: 6 sc (6)

But I feel like thereā€™s a magic ring missing from the pattern, but Iā€™m not sure. Iā€™m not sure if chinese patterns usually have the MR explicit or no, soā€¦ Can someone help me?

PS: Iā€™m also having a hard time trying to figure out this:
ē«‹äø€é’ˆ

2 Likes