Crochet burnout?!?!

Okay surely we’ve all been here! I want to craft, but nothing is tickling my brain. Everything I crochet looks terrible (even if it looks great to everyone else!) I know I’m not the only one!!! So what does the community prescribe for this burn?

What do you do when this happens? Are there any patterns that you make when you are burnt out but still want to create?

Thank you all! Know that you are loved, valued, and chosen, you were made for such a time ad this! <3

11 Likes

I normally work on random things like untangling my yarn. Sounds boring but it can help, since seeing all the colors and different types gives me motivation.

If this doesn’t work I just work on things that need rows that are just repetitive rows of crochet for my sweaters im making.

if all else fails I take a break from crochet for a bit. Say doing other things around your room, like reading a book or talking to friends/family.

I will sometimes just try to find patterns that sound fun and starting 1 and just making it. If it turns out bad i can always take it appart.

Hope this helps​:two_hearts:

5 Likes

I do this all the time and can’t find a new project that looks fun to start! But I’ve found if you alternate just making something for yourself for fun and making something for others helps. Such as asking a family member what they would like you to make for them it really helps keep you bouncing around to different things.

3 Likes

Pick up knitting! as soon as you start It’ll get the crochet spark running in no time

5 Likes

What I do when I burn out is I go on like Pinterest or instagram and just scroll through to find inspo.
Some times when my projects aren’t turning out the best I watch some videos for beginners to get the basics taught to me again, or watch my favorite crocheting creators to hopefully get a few tips!

One tip from me is try yarn under instead of yarn over!

Hope this helps!!:crossed_fingers::yarn:

2 Likes

I made a post about this

3 Likes

I was like this before, and I still wanted to crochet. But I didnt really have the motivation. I took a break, and learned to knit. Now when I get bored of crocheting or dont know what to crochet. I hop onto here, and look for tester calls or I’ll knit. Everone is different so what works for me, may not work for you. I would look for tester calls if you still want to create, or even look out for newer patterns. I have two plant patterns and a cat-erpillar pattern they only take 1-2 hours to make. So check out my shop if you want.

3 Likes

That is true, I learned to knit and now I have a lot of ideas for crofhet projects while knitting.

3 Likes

Thank you so much @Winternightmare ! I’ll have to check this out! It’s been suspected for a while that I am nerodivergent. Currently undiagnosed but I do intend to pursue that at some point in time! Life is just entirely to much right now, don’t really have the ability to focus on anything else! <3

3 Likes

@LittleCreatures Thank you I’ll check your shop out! Knitting is definetly on the table I have everything I need to do that!

2 Likes

Ooo! If you have circular knitting needles make a cardigan or sweater, I’m currently making a cardigan

2 Likes

@LittleCreatures That would be so fun!!!

2 Likes

Thank you all for your ideas and well wishes! I hope you have a wonderfully crafty day! <3

1 Like

I understand @DarlingDia im going through the same thing right now actually

1 Like

@ShortClarice Awww I’m sorry, it’s absolutely no fun!

1 Like

I try to have multiple projects going, so when my crojo is flat, I can just swap between projects and do a row or two before swapping to something else. If that fails, I’ll swap and read a chapter or two (or story or 10 :sweat_smile: ) before being ready to pick it back up again.
Or find a show I’m bingeing and crochet while watching it, helps refresh the crojo for me.
Or (again :sweat_smile: ) apply for tester calls for projects I wouldn’t normally do, so its something new and interesting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@pandachu Ooohhh! Any good book recommendations for books or shows?

2 Likes

@DarlingDia Oh so many :laughing: I’m on a crime kick at the moment, so for shows Criminal Minds, Body of Proof and Lie to Me are great.
Books are a bit trickier haha My favourite authors are Laken Cane, Tamara White and Auryn Hadley (all found on Amazon) but can be heavy on some mature themes. For young adult series I recommend A Walker series by Jaymin Eve and anything from Isobelle Carmody

2 Likes

I’m feeling the burnout myself currently. I just started on an embroidery project today actually to keep a form of creativity flowing. I usually crochet to make things for other people, but this project is something to make for myself and try a watercolor technique for the background that I’ve been curious about for awhile! So far it’s been helpful to keep me inspired to at least continue creating and drag me out of the slump. I hope you find your inspiration soon! :blush:

1 Like

@starlitxstitches Thank you so much! I hope your project goes well!!!

2 Likes