Curious how you work charts, poll EDITED with another option

I would like your input on how you work with charts here on ribblr. It doesn’t matter how you create the chart, crochet or knit or … you get the idea. Just want to know if you follow the written directions, or the interactive chart. If you use both, let me know in the comments. Sample of the written directions included so you know what I mean.

• interactive chart
  • written directions
  • haven’t followed a chart yet

0 voters

8 Likes

if I have the option to read a chart, I will pick a chart every time. My personal patterns are only charts or formulas…which may be why typing them out is so exhausting

7 Likes

I like either! I personally use the “create pattern” function on stitch fiddle so it’s easy to include the written directions here on ribblr and then you can use both for a PDF on other sites :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I like having both, when possible. Depending on the pattern my brain sometimes works better with written than visual and vice versa.

Edit: I also wanted to add I have found interactive charts on ribblr easier to use on desktop than mobile (again depending on pattern, but generally so).

4 Likes

How do those interactive charts work? Like I can see in the image below some colors and number but I’m not sure what those mean stitch wise

The only charts I’ve seen in some patterns are images like this for example:
But those are really difficult for me to read and I prefer written patterns to those, but haven’t seen interactive charts yet I think

6 Likes

I do also. Waiting for our great Ribblr app to include that.

3 Likes

This is from my free Airplane Chart pattern. (link below picture) You can follow along this way, The blue line shows where I am in the pattern. And, you can select the exact stitch also, so it saves your place. Very helpful on long rows with many color changes.

4 Likes

you can use colored blocks that correspond to the colors you enter in the materials page, which the user can change to the color they will be using… but you can also make a symbol chart for lace or cables (I don’t know that I have seen this type for crochet, only knitting) that will have the stitches in a grid format.

4 Likes

Oh that makes sense with those patterns thanks

In that case I think I’d be fine working with either the written ones or the chart, but only if the written ones go line by line and not 1 big chunk of text in 1 line (like multiple lines of chart in 1 ribblr instruction line, that’s a no)

I think maybe for a really big pattern, I’d like the charts more because it’s easy to lose track of which part you’re at with a long line of instructions

4 Likes

That’s actually really cool, I just found a site with similar function and that’s a great way to see how the colors will work out in advance

(though that site isn’t crochet/knitting, it’s like pixel art friendship bracelets/bookmarks/that kinda stuff)

4 Likes

This is what a knitting chart looks like… And I like them much better than written instructions

3 Likes

Id say both because sometimes the directions arent clear and a chart would help.
If its say a graphigan i find the charts easier but the written is nice too if its written out nicely. Ive done graphigan patterns and the written gets to be alot at times.

4 Likes

What site is this?

2 Likes

Haven’t figured out the full site yet but it seems nice

I was looking through the alpha type patterns and those are like fun pixel art

3 Likes

You should make a pattern here to test the charts. You could easily do a bracelet like that and change the colors. I really like this one.

2 Likes

I used to make friendship bracelets with peoples names on them. I had my friendship bracelet game on when I was a kid!

3 Likes

My grandkids crochet them. Some are just chains, but they crocheted them! :heart:

3 Likes

I love written patterns line by line AND these things
TOGETHER!! When one is not clear I can go to the other to gain understanding.

I do NOT like Graphans, I don’t see any way to keep track of where I am at and counting all those boxes?’! Nope

2 Likes

The system here helps with the graphghans. In the chart, you select the box you are in. Also, I have the counting added for you, so like 17 white, 2 black, 3 white, …

I wonder if we could make that other kind of chart here. I never tried, I can figure it out if I have to, like you said, if I have both that and the written.

3 Likes

I’ve looked at graphans and for me it feels like my brain sees the boxes and then it’s all fuzzy. Weird,

2 Likes