Curving

Hi so I started to learn how to crochet. I donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing wrong but the blanket Iā€™m working is curving at the edge. What can I do?

4 Likes

This can happen sometimes when working in rows, just keep crocheting like normal and it should flatten out as it gets bigger!

2 Likes

I agree with @Minty_Mia ! This would (and still) happen to me, donā€™t worry about it, it will (probably) work out in the end :blush:

2 Likes

It looks to me as if you donā€™t have the correct stitch count? Maybe not enough, missing the last one. Or, too many, adding an extra. If you count your stitches as you go, it will help you learn where and how to end your rows. It is easy to miss one, or add one. You will get used to it. But, you have to count each row. (I still do after 45 years.) Unless Iā€™m wrong and maybe the tension is pulling it.

4 Likes

Hmmmā€¦ I canā€™t tell exactly from the picture if you are dropping stitches at the end of the rowā€¦Itā€™s a bit tricky for beginners to figure out the best way to keep a good stitch count when turning at the end of each row, it took me some time to figure it out for myselfā€¦ :sweat_smile:
Try to make sure you have the same number of stitches every row.
Maybe you can also try going up a hook sizeā€¦?

3 Likes

Looks like you are adding extra stitches as you go. Definitely do stitch counts with each row. That has happened to me before, quite a few times.

2 Likes

Well I started with 200 stitchs and the pattern Iā€™m doing says to add two stitch when you flipā€¦ it said it was beginner friendly.

2 Likes

2 chains?

2 Likes

How many stitches on your last row?

2 Likes

Yeah and I havenā€™t gotten to look and count since Iā€™ve been busy.

2 Likes

Is this a free pattern you can share for assistance? What stitch are you using? SC, HDC, DC?

2 Likes

I may be able to make or find a specific helpful video if I understand the problem. Until then, this may help you. https://youtu.be/I40n0q9urk4

2 Likes

It is via YouTube. Iā€™d share but it looks like I canā€™t. The title of the video is ā€œHOW TO CROCHET A FAST AND EASY BLANKET | BEGINNER FRIENDLY | MAKE IN 3 HOURS | Bella Coco Crochetā€

2 Likes

And yes it is in all capitals :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Let me check.

1 Like

At 7:15 ish in the video she explains to skip the first stitch (because the chain 2 counts as a stitch) and start in the 2nd. If you add one by the chain, it would add a stitch to the row. This may be what youā€™ve been doing. You need to count your stitches and let me know. Sorry, not fun. You can use a stitch marker or piece of yarn, and mark them at each 20 stitches, so you donā€™t have to keep recounting if you get lost. Let me know and weā€™ll go from there. Also, it may be possible that the tension is just off from the beginning chain to now. Maybe another picture?

1 Like

I counted and I got 194 :disappointed: I even re counted my foundation chain and it was 200 to start with. Is there anyway to fix it? I was so excited to do this.

2 Likes

Hi,
I think you might need to pull out a row, count your stitches, and repeat until you find your stitch count is right? Iā€™m sorry I donā€™t know of another way :pensive: it might be quite annoying (and a bit time consuming) to do this, but thatā€™s what Iā€™d do :+1:

2 Likes

You can rip it out. (frog it = rip it, rip it).
Or you can add an extra stitch for a couple of rows to get it back. You can put one extra in the last stitch, and or put one in the skipped stitch at the beginning of the row. Youā€™re not off too far. Since you caught it early it wonā€™t get worse. Itā€™s possible you are skipping a stitch in the middle of the row also. Pay closer attention going forward and count once in a while. Or every row until you get more comfortable with it.

3 Likes

I would too.

2 Likes