DIY Crochet hook handles?

I have so many smaller size hooks without any sort of handles on them and after awhile it makes my hand hurt and I thought I should just make my own. Nothing fancy just wanted an ocean vibe and I am making some beachy stitch markers to go with. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone makes their own or has like custom made ones? Needing inspiration for like 10 more haha

26 Likes

wow! so creative aaaand that is soooo pretty! I would totally try it.

9 Likes

Do a whole ocean themed set! Mermaids,turtles etc

8 Likes

You make it out of polymer clay?

6 Likes

Seahorses,whales, dolphins, coral, clownfish, fishing pole, boats, lighthouse, fish nets, rain coats, bikinis, suntan lotion, umbrellas, sand. etc.

6 Likes

@anoswaldoddity yes it’s polymer clay!!

And thank you guys for the suggestions!! The stitch markers are the fun part for me. But what I get stuck on is the handles since it’s sort of limited surface area to work with.

6 Likes

Thank you!

5 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking, is putting the polymer clay on hard? And…where do you buy it, how do you know how thick to make diameter so it’s comfortable for your hand?

4 Likes

I don’t mind at all. It’s very easy to put the clay on. You really just roll out a bit so that it’s flat and then I cut a rectangle strip that’s about as long as I would like it to be and wide enough to fit around it. Once you do that you can just roll the hook like a rolling pin and will get all smoothed out. This one I actually did in two parts though. Sometimes the clay does not want to stick to metal. If you get liquid polymer clay that will help. I brushed the hook with liquid clay then I put a thin layer of regular on less than a quarter inch thick not sure exactly. I baked that for only about 10 mins. You don’t have to do that though it’s just easier for clay to stick to clay. Then I put on another layer about the same thickness and put it in for another 10 mins and was done. I just kind of tested it as I went you can experiment as you go because it won’t harden until it bakes.

Some clays are easier to work with than others so it is more of a personal preference, but stay away from sculpey III! Too soft! Sculpey premo is my favorite followed by fimo. Soufflé might work on metal but I am not positive.

I try and wait for a 40% coupon at Joann’s or Michaels and get a 24 pack of premo. Regular price is $30. But the colors are really small (so is everything I make usually so I don’t mind) you can get a normal block of individual colors for like $2-$3 at craft stores.

Hope that helps!

11 Likes

i’ve been meaning to have a go at making my own but i never get around to it.
yours came out really cute!! it’s giving me motivation to finally get to it haha

6 Likes

It does help! Thank you very much!

4 Likes

the stich marker can be a tuttle kind of thing

5 Likes

I made a couple with polymer clay into wand-like handles and everyone loved them. Check out Pinterest and you’ll find more ideas than you know what to do with. Just be careful going down that rabbit hole :rofl:

6 Likes

3 Likes

I did go down that rabbit hole the other day!!! The wands are awesome, especially the ones with crystals in them! Soooo much fun

7 Likes

I freaking loved so many of them, but I know it’ll take me a LOT of practice to get them THAT cool lol.

5 Likes

How cool! So creative!

7 Likes

@anoswaldoddity @gnomehome If you get some coarse sandpaper and scratch up the handle of the hook, the clay ought to stick better.

7 Likes

Thanks!! @CaptainSmileyfaceJ

5 Likes

I’ve tried that before quite a bit and it never worked quite as well as I had hoped. It seemed to work for at first and then not so much as time went on. But yeah maybe I wasn’t sanding it enough. I used to cover a lot of like altoid tins and such. The liquid clay I have is like pearly so it creates a bit of a rough texture so that is currently my favorite method.

6 Likes