Embrace your inner Granny!

I get the feel there are many younger generations than I here. We all help each other. I would really like for you to embrace the vintage patterns. Appreciating vintage come easy to me, and I gravitate to it, it connects me somehow to a place I’ve not been where I would like to go. It may not be your cup of tea, or maybe you think it’s “old fashioned”, or that your grandmother did it. It is crochet, and in a form you may not be aware of, from a time you were not part of. Homemaking and making a lovely space with your talents are just as relevant now as then. Patterns were designed out of necessity in pamphlets & magazines long ago out print, but the items are fresh to new eyes. I encourage you to look into these. It may open your eyes to a new vision of what crochet is, and enlighten you on how life was then, so very different then now, and who knows you may actually find that you like it. There is no shame in the game. :yarn: :hearts:

18 Likes

Love old school crochet. The beauty of it alone when accomplished is something to be admired. I will always think of my grandmother when doing them. I still hear the jingling of her charm bracelet when I crochet. And yes, I’m with you in the age category. I love making all things crochet when a new grandchild arrives

Best Wishes Love GIF by ank_illustrates

10 Likes

What a lovely response & memory, there is another one charm bracelets, I have one given to me on my 16th birthday. There is joy in Crochet across time.

10 Likes

@anon51435716 My grandmother :older_woman: gave me my first charm bracelet when I made my first holy communion. Got charms for it for special occasions. My younger sister hated that bracelet. I use to hang it on my doorknob to keep her out of my room :laughing: One day she got mad at me and flushed it down the toilet. :rage: Still think about that charm bracelet till this day. :pensive:

7 Likes

I have been crocheting off and on for many years. Back on full force. I am in my mid 60’s and learned crochet and knitting, mostly crochet, by standing behind my Mom’s Lazy Boy and watching over her shoulder. A couple winters she spent her time crocheting Ripple Throws for all 6 of her kids. That’s why it took 2 years. I love crochet because it just uses one hook, not two pointy needles. Sorry excuse but really I kinda forgot how to knit because it has been so long since I’ve done it. There is a favorite dishcloth I love and the only pattern I can find for it is knitting, so I do plan on relearning to knit for that reason alone.

10 Likes

I honestly still have an Afghan my grandma made me at 16 before she passed. It sits happily on my blanket ladder displayed along with all the beautiful doilies and embroidery items I inherited I use . I love vintage.
GIF by Alexis Russell

10 Likes

Hello! Welcome to the Ribblr community!

6 Likes

Welcome @Crocheterallday to @Ribblr :wave:t3:I am a Crochet-aholic. My goal is to make sure everyone in my family has something hand crochet by me to remember me by

8 Likes

I love vintage patterns! They can be so elegant and are beautiful, and it reminds me of something from like Little House on the Prairie or Anne of Green Gables or Little Women. I have a friend who gave me a big bag full of beautiful crocheted doilies, other useful things like that, and some sewn things as well. I’m hoping to find some time to maybe work up some of the patterns, so hopefully I can recreate them! :pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that.

5 Likes

Welcome to Ribblr​:hugs:
To be totally honest I can’t really remember how to knit. I’m 15 and my nanny taught my sister and I a while back. My sister is good at knitting. She made a scarf earlier this year and taught herself some new stitches. My mum knits and crochets. But the one thing we can all do is sew.:heart_eyes:
At school we have sport and we can choose what we want to do. My mum is a high school teacher at my school and wanted to teach students how to knit and crochet, so it ended up happening. It’s really nice to see some other kids interested in keeping the art alive. The sad thing is that the person in charge of all this sport on a Wednesday afternoon doesn’t really give funds, most of the wool is donated from other staff and friends of people outside of school. We have done other things as well because not everyone wants to kjit and crochet each week. It’s sad to see some kids not really care for what has been provided without funding. They should have a small fee like $5 for the class, like some other classes that go outside of school to bowling for instance you need to pay the fees, because you need the money to supply the craft supplies. The class is free but people just disrespect what we have managed to do. Like for example we had a scratch art one week. There were a few kids that just destroyed the thing. It’s really sad

7 Likes

:slightly_frowning_face: Sibling Rivalry sucks. Most parents don’t deal with it correctly.

7 Likes

I love those movies/books
My neighbour lent us the little house on the prairie. I loved it. I love Anne of green gables. I tried reading the book but didn’t finish it. I should try and finish it again. I love little women.

What movie do you prefer? The older one 1994 with Kirsten Dunst (Toby McGuire’s Spider-Man 1, 2, 3 and Spider-Man No way Home, Hidden Figures and the original Jumamji from 1995)

or

the newer one 2019 with Emma Watson (Hermione from Harry Potter or Bell from live action Beaty and the beast)

5 Likes

I’m of the opinion that if people have to pay for something, even if it’s a portion, they value it appropriately.

6 Likes

I would never have done that. You know that you always have something telling you not to do it because you will get into trouble. But you really want to do it

5 Likes

You’re talking about sibling rivalry right?

5 Likes

If I may encourage you to do so, you will not be sorry. These kind of things are done in small scale, the thread & hook, so you produce more slowly and enjoy. Start small but start.

5 Likes

I’ve only seen the 1994 Little Women, so I don’t know! I’ll have to see the 2019 one sometime soon. : )

4 Likes

Little Women - 1933 with Katherine Hepburn or 1949 with Elizabeth Taylor & Margaret O’Brien. Love the classics :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

@anoswaldoddity my sister and I are close now. As kids we were horrid. My father drilled it in our heads that we are all we have. Always have each other’s back. I did the same with my kids. Family first!

7 Likes