Free yarn?😧♻️

Just a friendly reminder to all of you crafters that plarn exists! And for those of you who don’t know what that is, it’s yarn made out of plastic grocery bags! Lmk in the comments if you want to know how!:green_heart::recycle::yarn:
Here’s the post on how to make it!

17 Likes

I’ve made a plarn ball, but honestly never made anything from it because it took so much time and I didn’t have enough to make anything I wanted to make (was hoping to make mats for the homeless)… I often regret that I didn’t see it through :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

It is sort of difficult to find enough bags for big projects (I’m speaking from experience lol)! I’m halfway through a crochet shopping tote, and it’s taking up a lot of bags! Which is good, bc they’d probably be trash otherwise, but also takes a lot of work to cut up each one!

6 Likes

Hurts my hands too much to even use it

3 Likes

:disappointed::grimacing:I know, it’s not the best quality “yarn”, but it’s cool to use, good for the environment, and also pretty much free. It’s not super easy to work with, since it is plastic, and might tear.

4 Likes

Is there any chance you can explain more?
What is this?
What do you do?
How do you use?

Thank you in advance :cat:

3 Likes

Yeah, ofc! So, it’s basically plastic bags that you cut up and join together in a certain way to make “yarn”. I am a crocheter, and have used it in a few projects. I’m not sure if it’s any good for knitting though. You basically use it just like regular yarn!

4 Likes

You cut the seam and handles off of the bag, then fold it up and cut it into loops. (Thickness depending on how thick you want the yarn) Next, you’ll join them together into a long string which you can roll up into a ball, just like yarn). Please lmk if anyone want me to make a new post and go into how to make the plarn! Hope this helps!:heart:

4 Likes

I would love to see an instructions post on how to make this! It could be a super fun project to make bags and other things put of old plastic!

2 Likes

Of course! I will make a new post soon!

3 Likes

Yes! I would love to have an indepth tutorial!!!

2 Likes

Thank you
I will look out for your new post

3 Likes

Same!

2 Likes

Cross posted with plarn tutorial:

Related aside - A simple mat crocheted from plarn can help homeless individuals avoid hypothermia by providing a barrier between blankets and wet ground in colder months.

Check with organizations that provide cold weather support to learn where to donate. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I mentioned that the plarn might tear, but it’s really only when making or working with it! One crocheted (or knitted), it’s actually pretty strong!

1 Like

I’ve thought about making one for a while! It take a LOT of plarn though, which might not be a problem for some! Just fyi!

2 Likes

You can also check out your local thrift stores for yarn! But plastic yarn is super cool too!!

2 Likes

Good idea!:heart:

2 Likes

Oh and if you have lots of plastic bags and you dont want to turn it into plarn but you dont know what to do with it sometimes thrift stores (not the big ones as in value village, or other big chain companies) but ones owned by locals! i know the one i have will always be willing to take bags because they use them!

2 Likes

oOh I will def use this idea soon!

3 Likes