Hi everyone, Saar has invited me to start some discussions about Tunisian Crochet.
I’ve been designing Tunisian Crochet items for a couple of years now (you can see most of them on my Ribblr store). My focus is on size inclusive wearables using techniques accessible to just about everyone.
Are there any people here interested in Tunisian Crochet that don’t know where to start?
My top tips:
- Start with a small project like a washcloth/square/scarf/swatch
- use big yarn that isn’t ‘splitty’ - I recommend all beginners start with 8 ply yarn (dk) and a 6mm hook
- you don’t need to buy fancy hooks to get started. A 30cm or 12" rigid hook is perfect for a beginner who just wants to play with making squares. If you already have standard short crochet hooks, you can use these too - the ones without hand grips.
- learn tunisian simple stitch first. If you can master that you can make almost all of my patterns.
- practice until it’s feeling comfortable to make the stitches and you’re getting an even tension.
What else would you like to know? Any questions?