HELP MY YARN is full of MILK

Can’t post a topic with a title in full caps apparently
So i spilled milk all over my bf’s desk where i was playing a game and knitting
And i spilled milk EVERYWHERE
His stuff is fine i cleaned it
BUT MY WOOL
So on the actual knitted piecere there is no visible or smelly hint of milk, BUT THE WOOL CIRCLE THING I FORGOT THE NAME (me panicking lol) IS FULL OF MILK HOW CAN I SAVE IT :((((((((
I’ literally crying pls
F nvm i foun some milk

I ended up patting it with some desinfectant, i cut the yarn that was close to my project cuz it was unraveled and i didnt feel like cleaning it, i patted the project as well and i’ll just have to hope for the best :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I would carefully wash the yarn in a sink with a little bit of soap or detergent that is okay for your yarn (check the label for washing instructions or google for the fiber) and rinse with clear water. When it’s clean i would again very carefully hang it or lay it on a towel for drying. Make sure you don’t tangle it, don’t use hot water and only mild soap. When its completely dry rewind it and you should be good to go! :blush:

10 Likes

To wash your yarn
First you will need to make sure it’s in a hank, then secured with tiny pieces of yarn or zip ties (look up how to hank yarn for washing)
Carefully lower the hank into warm water with a few drops of dish soap or woolite or shampoo and let it fully saturate
Gently swish back and forth a couple of times, form a circle with your thumb and finger and draw the whole hank through this circle to wring out excess water (repeat 4 or 5 times) then repeat the entire process twice more with clean water to rinse
Hang to dry

12 Likes

oh no!! good luck getting it out!!

9 Likes

milk

9 Likes

could anyone recommend a shampoo or sth to wash wool? either brands or just some hacks i could use please

7 Likes

Avoid anything that says “clarifying” or “oily” or “dandruff” and baby shampoo is some of the harshest stuff on the market, all of these will strip your lanolin.
Other than that, they are all pretty much the same. Just make sure that you use so little soap that the water barely bubbles at all. Those surfactants (the sudsing agents, different than sulfates) will help remove more lanolin
(30+ years licensed cosmetologist, I know shampoo)

9 Likes

Nodding Yes Small Business GIF by Aurora Consulting: Business, Insurance, Financing Experts

7 Likes

Eucalan

6 Likes

i will check my shampoos, maybe i have something
thank you so much!

6 Likes

if i don’t have anything, i will check if i can buy this in romania, thank you as well! <3

6 Likes

any shampoo that says “moisturizing” but not “volumizing” should be fine

5 Likes

Yea, might try a shampoo like @anon5108995 said. Eucalan is expensive per use.

3 Likes

seriously, wool is like hair with all the natural oils, anything that won’[t strip your hair is safe for your wool

5 Likes