How and why did you start crocheting?

I started crocheting when I was 7, I broke my leg and had nothing to do. My aunt making a crochet blanket and started showing me how to crochet chains. I on off on crocheting for awhile, but then 6 years ago I wanted to make crochet plushies. I practiced and practiced making chains, then my aunt showed me how to single crochets, half double crochets, and double crochets. I again practiced the stitches over and over again until I got the movements down. My aunt never made amigurumi, she only did dishcloths and blankets. My grandma on my dads side crocheted amigurmi, and showed me how to make a magic circle/ring and how to inc and decrease. The first plushie I ever made was about 5 years ago, it was a bunny. Then I was really into making bees for a couple years. It was fun and I enjoyed crocheting, I know use crocheting as a hobby and coping mechanism for my anxiety. Whats your story? I hope you guys have a nice rest of your day!

9 Likes

I became interested in crochet when my Aunt and Uncle sent me a blanket with matching barbie blankets they both made for me when I was little. I loved that they made them just for me, in my favorite colors.
Then, a few years ago I saw these crochet kits that came with everything you need to crochet puppies and Frozen dolls. I thought my kids would love it, so I picked it up. So, I tried and failed. It wasn’t a beginner’s kit for sure lol. I put it away until January of this year when I made it my resolution to become proficient in crochet. I’m only 34, but I’m working towards what I call my grandma skills lol. That includes cooking, baking, all the things my grandmas have done that I want my kids and possible future grandkids to enjoy. I finally got the hang of crochet thanks to YouTube and now I can’t stop won’t stop! And thankfully my kids, friends and family really love the things I make for them, which makes it even more enjoyable. :blush:

5 Likes

Aw! Thats so sweet! Youtube is very helpful lol

3 Likes

Fr! I had to pause and rewind like a million times at first. :joy:

3 Likes

I started crocheting winter of last year. I was very anxious and needed to do something with my hands, so i asked my grandma and she came out with a afgan that was partly finished. So, she showed me how to hold my hook, and how to pull the yarn thru. ( i was bad at that aprt so for a week i pullet the strands over eachother. ) The first stich i made was a sloppy half double crochet stich. I slowly started teaching myself the other stiches and memorizing the names. I learned how to do the magic circle about 2 months later. And i learned how to increase by myself with no video and no help. And made some cute drawstring pouches. I stopped crocheting for a mont after, then picked it up and i was 10x better then i was before. And i made my first plushie. It was a jellyfish with acrillyc yarn. Then i made many more plushes and then some. And i made a beautiful baby blanket that was so cute. And then this summer i decided to make a buisness out of my favorite hobby.

5 Likes

I learned about crochet and how to make basic chains and stuff when I was 10 but I never started till I turned 17 and got some yarn and supplies. I picked it up very quickly since I was familiar with it, now I’ve been crocheting for 2 years and will continue on hopefully forever hahaha

4 Likes

I started crocheting when I was 10. I had been knitting since i was 8, and for Christmas when I was 9 my mom got me a crochet kit. I left it in my closet lol. Every once in a while, I took out the booklet and went “ooh that sounds so cool!” …and then put it back. until Christmas when I was 10, I decided to make washcloths for my grandma. but then I was like, I dont feel like knitting today. And i remembered that little crochet kit stuck in my closet. So I got it out and tried to make dishcloths! …annnnnnd epic fail… i didnt know where to crochet into, so i accidentally kept skipping stitches until it resembled an upside down christmas tree. (my grandma loved it though, to this day she still has it as a “christmas tree ornament” :joy:) then a couple months later I was like, “Oh! Look at this amigurumi tutorial on youtube! cool! i wanna try!” so i tried it. and at first it was hard, but then I got it! (i still have my 1st sphere :face_holding_back_tears:) so then the same day, after i finished, i was like “oooooooo i wanna make a stuffed animallll” and i didnt know online patterns were a thing- so i went up to my room for like 5 hours and worked it out. i was like “so if i add more sc rows in the middle, it will be like, an oval” and from there, i made my first (admittedly really bad but i was 10 ok :face_with_raised_eyebrow:) pattern. (it was a cat amigurumi) and to this day i still make my own patterns! (theyre a lot better now) So yeah that’s my crochet journey! :two_hearts:

4 Likes

My oldest was working on credits for high school and worked for a non profit. They were looking for crocheters and knitters to make cloths for homeless kits to pass out. Also my grandma crocheted and I’d watch her for hours i found it to be a neat craft.

4 Likes

i started when i was i think 12, maybe 11? I had seen some vidoes on pinterest and thought it was so cool! i had also recalled my friend having a little bee that her friend crocheted her which was adorable! I begged and begged and eventually my mom took me to hobby lobby to get a 5mm hook and yarn (yarn bee acrylic in the color stone blue to be exact :relieved:) And i sat in my living room and watch youtube! I was proud of myself even thought it was really really bad…. cause the harsh truth is- the whole k time i was sung crocheting, it was slip stitches… i was slip stitching plushies, and they weren’t the prettiest.(see picture bellow) I got into jewelry making and my yarn sat there, where is occasionally decided to try something out. Then i figured our how i was doing the stitches wrong, and made a little peep bunny. it came out so much better than anything i’d ever made, and decided to make a new bee with the right stitches. ( the one in picture is a the slip stitch bee) ever since then i crochet almost every day. I started selling them to friends in school, talking custom orders, and i recently had my first market. I decided to make my company bee themed, because my best friend passed away when i was 10, and we believe she came back as a bee​:honeybee: so i’m bee themed! i’m 13 now and have my second market in december, and i’m so glad that one crochet video showed up on my feed. I hope to continue to crochet and will hopefully be making stuff for my grand children in the future!

5 Likes

Before my mom had a job, she crocheted hats and sold them to people in the neighborhood. Eventually she got a proper job and no longer had time for it, so we just had a bags of yarn and hooks that we kept in the garage. One day I decided that my teddy bear needed a hat, so my mom told me I could try crocheting one. So the first things I learned to make were hats and socks for my teddy bears. After I made the hats I decided to learn how to make granny square blankets… and to this day the blanket isnt finished cus I got bored lol. My first ami was a teddy bear, the video said it should take an hour to make, and the comment section talked about how they loved the pattern so much and made like 3 in 1 day… it took me 2 weeks to make that bear lol. And of course I made that bear a little hat too.

3 Likes

1971, I was 5 and wanted to do what my grandma did.

3 Likes

I was 8 and my grandma was crocheting and I was watching tv. She asked if I wanted to try and I agreed. The first thing she showed me was how to make a little flower. It took me like 3 hours, but after I was hooked (heh). 6 months or so my aunt and her friend were starting a blanket and I wanted to join, so my grandma bought me 2 or 3 skeems(or rolls? Idk) or yarn and I stared! It was left uncomplicated. So after sitting in my closet for a year and a half, I opened it back up, unwind it, and wrapped it up. Another year later- and I was getting back into crocheting. I was asked by a friend if I can make them a cat, I agreed, and then ran out of yarn for it. I bought more of the same yarn, but it was from a different dye lot and the yarn was completely, and I mean completely different. So I tried to make more of that but then I found a cute elephant pattern then made it, but it had a lot of flaws. So ,with the same yarn that I got for my blanket that I never finished, I made another one. But it was like 2-2.5x bigger than that the first one. And recently I just made another one! (I’m posting the patter in my shop within a week or so) and here we are! 2023 and crocheting :smiley:

The elephants :smiley:

3 Likes

I really want to see the slip stitch bee…

2 Likes

I enjoyed reading all of the answers so far
This has actually been asked a couple times before (it’s been a hot minute though, so many that answered then aren’t as active now), but instead of typing mine out again I’ll just link my answer

(Edited to fix an autocorrect)

2 Likes

it’s a bad pic but i added one of all my slip stitch animals , including the bee.

1 Like