How did you learn to crochet or knit or any crafts you do / learnt was shown??

I taught myself 50 years ago not that my age matters. I was 6 years old when I taught myself the granny square which was also called the peggy square. I taught myself to knit when I was 10 years old. I also do or its been a white cross stitch, tapestry, Embroidery been a few years but it all counts :blush::blush::heart: i mainly learnt throught books as there wasnā€™t i internet back then.

Some of my work.

15 Likes

Iā€™m a self-taught crocheter. I did learn to crochet a simple snake in rows in elementary school, as well as weaving and some Embroidery in Highschool. Sadly it was one thing and then we were done with it :disappointed:
In 2018 I felt like crocheting on a whim and have been learning with YouTube (Iā€™m a visual learner), Pinterest and magazines from the supermarket , books bought by my mother, which have taught me Dutch crocheting terms (I sometimes mix them :see_no_evil:)
From the internet in general I learnt US and some UK terms, since my mother tongue is German, though I prefer US terms, since I mainly crochet from English patterns.
I have been trying to pick up on spanish crochet, which is hard :disappointed_relieved:.
I also tried knitting, but I simply cannot figure it out :sob:

With DIY so big and my curiosity even bigger Iā€™m trying about everything I can .
Iā€™ve been doing embroidery (a kit), Diamond Painting, watercolors and handsewing, epoxy resin, stone carving, carpenting ( :joy: my job) ,photography, writing poems and patterns, windowcolour , paper towels on pretty boxes, ministeck, beading, pressing flowers, those pearls you iron ( way back)
Recently Iā€™m looking to try and tye dye a shirt or two.

Some of these have been done by my mother( she still embroiders beautiful bows) , my grandma ( knitting, crochet, used to whittle and stonecarve) , my pop ( father) watercolors my aunt draws, my grandmaā€™s sister also picked up crochet for her grand and great-grandchildren.

9 Likes

Wow wat a story awesome

6 Likes

What an artistic family!!
@TigisWerkstatt

6 Likes

Well @Helga76 . I taught myself by sheer determination really, I looked at books, blogs, and you tube videos. I remember Moogly ( a blog and you tube videos) being a big help. A lot of the books that claimed to be ā€œbeginnerā€ books I found to be worthless in my opinion. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes

That sounds awesomeā€¦i was hand sewing my dolls clothes qhwn i was like six and thats 1 month off 50 years lol :laughing:

7 Likes

You were a very clever 6 year old.

7 Likes

I think we learned both in school when we were 7 or 8
And my grandma worked with my friend and me for a bit.

I didnā€™t use any of it until 2011 :smiley:

7 Likes

Thankyou I was very sick was in a wheelchair diagnosed wuth Rymatoid Arthritis and I still have it and Raynalds Disease in my left hand but i manage

7 Likes

I learned by my sister in law and also youtube i got better and better with time i crocheted for 6 years many more years to come. :blush:

7 Likes

Awesome. I hadnā€™t crocheted or knitted for 10 years as of Raynaudā€™s but I had to reteach myself again and it took a little time to get my tension and speed back not as fast as I used to be age helps

5 Likes

i started crocheting in june of last year. i originally wanted to learn because i saw some really cool things on pinterest so i bought some crochet hooks and took my aunts stash of yarn (she doesnā€™t crochet anymore). i watched as many youtube tutorials as i could! i made a top and a bucket hat before i learned how to read patterns. now here i am a year later, crocheting left and right and learning how to knit!

6 Likes

Now thatā€™s cool. Iā€™m 55 only a age as I lost over 45 KGS as of

illness, unhealthy and gave better and longer life. I started crocheting when I was in a wheelchair back in 1972

5 Likes

@Helga76 I learned that many people who crochet also struggle with some type of chronic illness. So sorry that you do. Itā€™s hard.

4 Likes

hello . My mother taught me how to chain stitch and that was it , once i got interested in crochet i turned to youtube . Youtube was very helpful and informative if youtube didnā€™t have the stitches i needed to learn , iā€™d turn to blogs or reddit .

Iā€™ve recently fell in love with Amigurumi and trying to make my own patterns . I never thought i was creative enough to make things based of an idea , learning how to crochet gave that boost i needed to discover my artistic side . After i learned crochet i wanted to try knitting , knitting is fun although it is a slight bit more tiring then crochet since i am not used to the movements yet . I am glad i learned to crochet and knit : )

5 Likes

I followed some of my first patterns from library books but mostly learned crochet from YouTube. Iā€™m 16 so from my perspective itā€™s almost hard to imagine a world before the internet. Itā€™s nice to know thereā€™s going to be a video for any new skill I want to learn.

7 Likes

I feel kind of silly because i just learned how to crochet from you tube when i was bored :rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

My vibe exactly.:wink:

6 Likes

i learned to crochet and knit through YouTube. i have been doing it for a little more than a yearand i also know how to sew but ibearly do it.

6 Likes

I learned from my mom who learned from her mom who had sadly passed. I had loads of fun reading about how all of you learnedā€‹:heart:

6 Likes