How did you learn? 🎨🧶

Hi! I was curious to know how did everyone learn to crochet/knit/any other art types?

My grandma left me lots of yarn as well as knitting needles and books but i never learned how to knit, i used that same yarn and taught myself how to crochet. I want to learn how to knit I just have had a hard time.

I still have probably about 15 small skeins of the same baby blue fuzzy yarn, what should I make with it?

17 Likes

an after school activity club and a teacher taught me then I went on from there

7 Likes

I learned to crochet from mostly TikTok tutorials and I learned a bit from a book of safari animal patterns

5 Likes

Mostly YouTube, and some tips from my grandma!! I rarely see her because she lives in New York though so :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

I learned from my sister and you should make a Cookie Monster

6 Likes

YouTube. I actually don’t know what made me start. Actually it may have been a whale pattern by hookedbyrobin, I made that and it started off my love for crochet. The eyes of that whale have fallen off since because I embroidered them badly :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I learned before the internet was around. I learned from books. That is hard, trying to get your fingers and hands to do exactly what a “static” picture is showing you

7 Likes

I learned 6 years ago from my aunt when I broke my leg, she taught me how to chain and single crochet. I first made a blanket for my dog who just turned 7 years old! I learned the magic circle/loop on youtube along with the rest of the stitches.

4 Likes

I taught myself and slowly looked up stitches.
It was sc, Hdc, and double crochet for a long time…… and making wash cloths for the homeless.

4 Likes

I learned when I was six on Sundays after church with the nuns … do u like makings wearables? A knitted hat or scarf would be cool

5 Likes

My Granny taught me to knit first (aged 8) but I struggled with the coordination so she taught me crochet instead. I found that easier. She showed me all the different techniques at that time and taught me to read and understand both knitting and crochet patterns. She had regular groups at her home back then as she was vice chair of the UK Knitting & Crochet Guild. As a teen I didn’t touch it as I had “better things to do and it wasn’t cool”. I didn’t pick Crochet up again until 2013 and decided that if I was going to do it, I will do it properly and have subsequently made it my business. I now teach and design patterns and expanded my community based business by adding in a full yarn shop and haberdashery.

5 Likes

I learned to knit when I was in school. I could just about do the basics. When I was 16 I taught myself to crochet by looking at videos on YouTube. I started off doing squares. And the rest is history as they say. I have done knitting here and there over the years but I honestly just love crochet, so thats what I mainly do. Recently I’ve been teaching my mam how to crochet :grin:

4 Likes

My math tutor, she taught me crochet on last year’s easter holidays.

5 Likes

That’s cool I’ve never heard of those!

At my library they have this little crafting club where mostly older lady’s quilt/knit or crochet I wanted to go but I was kinda scared lol

2 Likes

That’s awesome I’ve been trying to teach my little sisters. :joy: I love that idea, I might have to find a brown yarn too for a cookie lol

2 Likes

Yep! That’s where I tried to learn I got some crochet books from the library but it was just really hard to understand it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Aw that is so sweet,
it sounds like you have a wonderful aunt!

3 Likes

i learned crochet from happyberry crochet! :cupid: https://youtube.com/@HappyBerryCrochet

4 Likes

My mom and grandma gave me 2 wooble kits for my birthday, as well as some yarn and a crochet book, that’s how I learned to crochet

5 Likes

Yeah, my cousin (her son) also learned a couple years ago from her. We’re currently teaching her to make amigurumi

3 Likes