How did you learn???

Hi , people i am feeling better so i decided to make a post , but here’s the question
How did you learn to crochet or knit , i have someone in my family who crochets so i decided to ask for one of her hooks , then i just looked up yt videos , with help of the family member
So HBU??? :yarn: :blush:

20 Likes

my mom bought me a how to kit for christmas

8 Likes

My grandma taught me chains an single crochet, and I YouTubed the rest lol

11 Likes

The woobles kit

10 Likes

I learned knitting with yt videos and crochet with classes lol

6 Likes

my grandma taught me when i was a kid, just basicaly single crochet and then i taught myself through library books and youtube tutorials. my wife bought me an amigurumi kit once a while back too.

6 Likes

I watched a couple videos and than taught myself how to do crochet

6 Likes

my dad had this one hook and decided to give it to me, we went to a thrift store that following day to find some yarn. my parents told me that the hook my dad gave me was 4 yarn like that so I bought that yarn and took it home with me. I didn’t wanna watch a tutorial on how to do it so I taught myself and now 4 yrs later I’m a full time crocheter w my own business<3

6 Likes

My mom taught me the basic chain and how to go back and forth, and then after learning how to do rounds from a book I taught myself how to make plushies.

With knitting, I learned from a book and taught myself how to make round toys (knitting flat)(just make the flat piece and sew it together).
-I haven’t done this in years, but I want to try again because I can’t do double pointed needles. It never works, and the time I would “save” by using them is 3x+ the time it would take to just knit flat and sew it together.

8 Likes

I bought a kit, took the hook and totally ignored the instructons (they made no sense anyway XD) looked up a video on a crochet octopus XD Im jealous of yall who had family members teach you XD

6 Likes

My choir teacher showed me how

7 Likes

I also learned by YT, i first downloaded a pdf pattern, but used yt to learn all the abbreviations and stitches in it from yt.
The first time i did a dec, i didn’t know how to do it, so i just skipped a stitch(instead of crocheting 2 together :face_with_hand_over_mouth:)

6 Likes

I learned crochet from books…
all books…
no tutorials!

4 Likes

I came across the Amigurumi Today app on the google play store and thought it might be a fun hobby. Found a hook and some yarn, followed their diagrams for how to make stitches and just started crocheting their patterns.

5 Likes

I had a close family friend teach me how to crochet for a school project. And I really liked it so I kept on crocheting and trying to get better. So that next year for Easter my mom got me a good crochet hook and a amigurumi crochet book. So that’s how I learned. Also I kind of did a lot of self-teaching. No one would really help me.

6 Likes

For knitting, i had tonss of books that i learned from, and for crochet, my wonderful cousin, @BreesBees, taught me the basics then i went home and was able to expand my abilities theough articles and books and lots of practice lol. Ive never really been one to use youtube videos, idk why

7 Likes

well, it’s a funny story. i was at a craft fair when a vendor had this crochet blanket that i wanted so badly. then i figured i could make the blanket for cheaper. unfortunately. i was wrong. and i never made the blanket. i did learn how to crochet for it, though! thanks to yt and my, now late, grandmother. i continue crocheting in honor of her, she would be so proud of how much i’ve grown.

7 Likes

I learned to do both from books

6 Likes

I wanted to make a bee plushie so bad so I asked my mother how to start a chain. And I learned the magic ring from a YT video.
When I knew the terms I just started away​:blush:

7 Likes

For my first one I just bought a pattern 6 years ago. It was a bit hard but I did a pretty good job for being my first. Since then I worked on mastering my skills with making them.

6 Likes