How many projects do you have at a time?

I have ADHD and find it super difficult to finish one project at a time. I find myself bouncing between a few at once. :sweat_smile: Anyone else? :joy: Im trying really hard not to do this so if anyone has any tips i will take them lol!

22 Likes

i only have about 3 things going at a time, one is usually something time sensitive, something I wanted to do but it can wait, and a long term item I can put back for a while, which after a while can become time sensitive :joy::joy:. I am also ADD, but more than 3 working items gives me anxiety, so that pretty much keeps me from having 6 or more things going at one time ;).

9 Likes

haha yesss I am the same way! Its like I need the perfect balance between having a couple but not too many otherwise I get overwhelmed and wont want to make any :joy:

8 Likes

I have like a million :joy: And I start more but end up finishing THOSE ones instead of my really super old ones :rofl: If youā€™re starting out, hereā€™s my advice to you: DONā€™T HAVE A MILLION PROJECTS GOING ON AT ONCE! It will make you feel better and you can accomplish more : )

8 Likes

OMG same though :joy: I just started crochet about a year ago and would have SO many at the same time :sweat_smile: Iā€™ve gotten better now Iā€™ll have about 2 or 3 so itā€™s totally not as bad as it used to be at least :raised_hands::joy:

7 Likes

I have 3, 2 orders one of my own

10 Likes

I have ADHD and I really struggled with this at first. I would have all these great ideas about making extravagant blankets and projects that take a long time. I would then start them and it would never work out because I would get bored and need to go to the next thing. I was terrible about doing this with mittens even though they are a small project but having to make two was always what ruined me haha. So instead, I stopped trying all these large projects and started making things that were cute or functional and usually small enough that I could finish within the day lol. I also enjoy using a bunch of different stitches or different techniques so that I am not just doing sc all day long etc, but I definitely need that instant gratification feeling that I completed something.

11 Likes

I play games with myself and have since I was a child I would do the projects that bore me in bite size chunks in frequent intervals.
I crochet, I have one long project, i work on that a few rows at a time, and then reward myself with working on a shorter project, weave a few ends in and reward myself working on a shorter project I enjoy.
Having said that, sometimes I get on a speed roll on a long term project, then I just roll with it as long as it lasts. I love dc, and doing that over and over while listening to preachers I enjoy, the time flies and Iā€™ll in a zone- nothing like it.
If my crochet frustrates me, i put it down, do something else. I want to enjoy it not be frustrated by it.

10 Likes

@gnomehome thatā€™s such a good point! I do notice when I do larger projects like a blanket I tend to get distracted much easier :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

@anoswaldoddity i love that idea to make a game of it! :raised_hands: Iā€™m going to try that. I do that with other things in my life because it seems to help my ADHD Iā€™m not sure why I never thought of trying it with crochet!! :joy::heart:

7 Likes

Haha Iā€™m the same way, I actually donā€™t mind having 10 projects going on at once. I feel that most people make it seem like itā€™s the worst thing if you have too many wipsā€¦ but honestly just do what makes you happy :hugs: if you only like to work on a few projects, then work on a few projects, if you want to start something new because your current project isnā€™t giving you excitement anymore, start a new project. Crafting is supposed to make you happy, and if your not having fun, I suggest doing something that does.

Honestly, I stop starting projects when I realize the needle size I need for my next project is already being used for another project (thatā€™s when you know you have a problem) :rofl:

8 Likes

Thatā€™s so true that as long as we are having fun thatā€™s all that matters! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

what I like to do is Iā€™ll have my ā€œnight time tv watching projectā€ which is usually a blanket :sweat_smile: and then Iā€™ll have my day time project (or multiple projects :sweat_smile:)

Also omg Iā€™ve totally done that too with the hooks :joy:

8 Likes

I have 1 knit thatā€™s been waiting to be finished for years, a crochet home decor and sweater, and a crochet bag I should be done with tomorrow. Normally I only start new wips when I get bored doing the same stitch over and over again or itā€™s a long project.

8 Likes

I try to have one (1) active project that Iā€™m working on. Sometimes, tho, due to other responsibilities or a lack of supplies, my longer projects are left to the wayside.

Currently, I have a cardigan that Iā€™m almost done with, and a blanket that I need to buy the yarn for to finish.

I do have a lot of patterns Iā€™d like to make. Whatā€™s only stopping me is the lack of time and supplies (I tend to only buy what I need).

8 Likes

Right now Iā€™m working on my baby bumblebee pattern. (Which will be posted soon)

12 Likes

Oh my goodness that is so cute!! :heart_eyes::honeybee::honeybee::honeybee:

9 Likes

UMMM around way too many :rofl:

9 Likes

Same :sob::joy: Right now Iā€™m doing pretty well because Iā€™ve been focusing on making a pattern but once Iā€™m done I have so many things Iā€™ve been dying to make!! :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

This is me, Iā€™m currently working on a sampler blanket which gives me small instant gratification and when I have decided I have made enough I will see it together and it will be my first really big project. I have never made anything bigger than a car seat cover for my daughter.

6 Likes

Yea, I do ā€œgamesā€ with myself like that. Did as a kid with all kinds of things.

7 Likes