New accessibility tools! 🌓

accessibility

Crafting is more than a skill, a profession or a hobby.
It’s a bridge between people. We might come from a different background, nationality or gender but we are all here because we share the same passion and love. And in this divisive world that we live in, we must cherish and hold on to this wonderful unity.

When the idea of Ribblr was born, we decided to focus on three main goals as part of our mission to revolutionize the crafting industry:

1. Create the best crafting experience

2. Build a home for all crafters

3. Innovate and modernize the crafting industry

Building a home for ALL crafters is more than a goal. It’s a promise. A commitment we have made to you and to ourselves.
During Ribblr’s beta, we have been fortunate to welcome a diverse group of designers and crafters from all over the world!
Today, we are happy to announce a new set of accessibility tools:

Dark mode

By default, Ribblr will follow your system’s preference, but you can always force light/dark mode.

Reduce motion

With reduce motion enabled on your system, this feature will apply by default. Otherwise, you can turn it on at any time.

Left-hand mode

A cool new feature for our left-handed crafters! Watch left-hand stitch tutorials.

To set your accessibility preferences simply click the ‘Accessibility’ option on your personal menu.

Many thanks to everyone who tested these new features and helped us bring them to life.
(If you also want to test future features, send us a message)

We’ve also fixed some bugs and made improvements!

• An issue with the hamburger menu on Apple mobile devices now fixed
  • A bug entering row/rnd number on Safari now fixed
  • More abbreviations added
  • It’s now also easier to see the list of all abbreviations
  • Issue with tags now fixed
  • Doodle mode got a nice new look

We will continue to work hard towards our goals and make sure Ribblr is an accessible, safe and friendly platform to the entire crafting community.
Thank you all for choosing to join us early on and take an active part in the #craftingrevolution

16 Likes

I hadn’t noticed the left-hand mode, not being left-handed. But I have a left-handed crafter in my home (well, she’s away at college now), and I will have to show this to her when she’s home for the holidays.

I really appreciate the efforts you are making for accessibility on your site. That means a lot in this turbulent year.

7 Likes

Thank you! It’s really nice to hear!
From the start, we wanted to build tools that will help to simplify crafting and make it more accessible. That’s how we came up with many of our Ribblr ePattern features like the smart sizing selection, the languages translation and the unit converter.
The reduce motion feature and dark mode for example, both work alongside your system preference, so if your system is set to dark mode or motion reduction by default, Ribblr will automatically apply them, without the need to select them!

We really appreciate your feedback, and thank you for your support! :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Thank you for doing this! I appreciate the dark mode so much. Even though I don’t need/use all of these features I love that they are already part of your site. You really are making this a place for EVERYONE. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Thank you Alexandra and welcome to Ribblr!
That’s very kind of you to say. We really appreciate your support. :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Thank you for the accessibility tools these are great when you have health conditions thats are highly affected by looking at a screens so it really helps to be able to still get enjoyment out of the little things in life with these small adjustments :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Carla! We’re so glad that’s helpful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I love that you have implemented these accessibility tools. I don’t have a need for them, but the craft community is full of such lovely people, I would hate to think anyone is excluded from it.
I would love to hear from people who do have issues with some websites and if Ribblr works well for you.

1 Like

Reading the backlog of things I’ve missed, before I was on Ribblr. Just today found the dark mode. Trying it out for a while. Thanks for the option.

2 Likes

It’s our pleasure @HookedByMarilyn! We know there’s a lot of things to explore, but that’s part of the fun, right? :wink:

1 Like