Non amigurumi anyone?

I’ve been crocheting since 2017 in that time i’ve made less than 10 amigurumis.

I much prefer garments and blankets :heart:

7 Likes

I hear ya. I know it’s saturated so I see that. I hope you didn’t feel I was judging. Wasn’t my intent at all.

5 Likes

I’ve never made a non amigurumi pattern but I suggest taking your pictures outside when it’s sunny or snowy because in my opinion, cool colors work nicely with crochet! Crocheting useful stuff (I’m sure clothing and accessories work best here!) that are stylish and trendy can help you get more notice! Amigurumi is very popular but so is stylish clothing/accessories! If amigurumi wasn’t a thing, then I would probably be making bucket hats that are bright colored and in these patterns like checkerboard! Making trendy patterns can really bring up your customer rate! Also ribblr isn’t the only place to sell patterns! And these are just some tips that I think would be useful because I don’t want anyone feeling left out :D!

5 Likes

Non-amigurumi maker here!
I’ve made a few as gifts but honestly it hurts my hands to do much of those kinds of patterns.

5 Likes

Actually, this is my first year of amigurumi in 41 years. They’re fun, but it still prefer clothing, shawls, bags, etc. I’m currently working (well, once my shoulder’s healed) on a custom shirt my son drew out for himself. He saw some online but didn’t quite like the bulky looking stitching nor the wider stripes. So he drew it and I’m halfway done. His birthday is in September so he’s hoping to have by then. I’m sure it’ll be done! :grin::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::wink::wink:

Hugs, Valori​:hibiscus:

7 Likes

Same

5 Likes

I wondered about that too! Ive done amigurumi but my shop is fashion, only a few items so far. But I agree with it being rather flooded, not to say they arent cute and creative.

Im running a sale at the moment but not sure whether to promote, my last one had one sale , my first purchase!

5 Likes

I mostly make clothing when I’m off ribblr but the patterns that I’ve tested thus far on the platform are all amigurumis.

I used to make dolls of video game characters but that was the most I ever did as far as amigurumis went from back in the day. (I might import those patterns here but they were mostly made up as I went along.)

I’ve made dresses, purses, a couple pairs of shorts as personal clothing or as gifts. I’ve also made a bunch of hats/scarves/gloves for charity events.

I’ve tried my hand at making socks a few times but I’m never 100% happy with the end result. I think it might be because I don’t have access to sock yarn at the moment.

Personally, I think amigurumis are so popular because they can be pumped out quickly when using chenille yarn and that desire for near-instant gratification is satisfied.
They’re also used to shell out cute photos for social media…

8 Likes

Yes, if they would make crochet into ami/non ami categories I’d try more non ami patterns. Right now they’re definitely drowned out.

5 Likes

Thanks for the input… I’m not just talking about my specific designs (although I do take outside pictures and some of mine are unique)… I was only trying to pull out some non ami makers so we can hopefully see more variety in the community

5 Likes

No I was wondering if I came across as hating on ami before you commented, so when you commented I figured it best that I set the record straight in general :hugs::hugs:

5 Likes

Very good point

5 Likes

I have a small handful of testers that I send my items to without holding an official tester call here. It’s just faster that way sometimes. I usually post updates and what I’m up to on my socials. I have been rather preoccupied with this beast of a sweater project… but that is nearing it’s release date, and I’ll have more headspace for other projects

3 Likes

Ok good :people_hugging::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: thanks for clarifying

3 Likes

I do mainly non amigurumi still. I can’t handle the tight stitches as easily. I love making baby stuff and small things like hats. Right now I am making the Luna Skirt and Top by Namaste and Crochet. It is fun so far. It’s my first big finished item using connected motifs.

4 Likes

I’ve yet to make amigurumi although I’ve bought a few ami patterns here that were too cute for me to resist. I’m primarily a garment crocheter and knitter. I’ve done a lot of afghans, some Tunisian crochet, entrelac knitting and entrelac crochet.

3 Likes

I do anything crochet, cute and cuddly!!! Not sure if y’all know the definition of
amigurumi … ami is japanese for “crochet (knitted)” and gurumi is japanese for stuffed (toy, animal, doll, etc). When you design a small or mini stuffed toy, it is actually called “nuigurumi”.

I love looking at the beautiful desig n s our nuigurumi designers come up with, but my 70 yr old hands have a harder time with the smaller hooks and yarns, so I jump for joy when I see a big’ol stuffed toy, block, afghan, or wearable design.

So, I’m right here with you, @OBabyNMore! Keeping my eyes peeled for the next amazing design using bigger hooks and yarns. Be still my heart when I spy a design using crochet and quilting in the same pattern!! Hence my name, cro-quiltin.

I cherish all the new, young crocheters that will continue & pass down this craft for another thousand years. God Bless us all with kindness, sharing, caring, empathy, charity & generosity, etc. I have personally NEVER met a crocheter without at least those qualities!!!

6 Likes

I like to do amigurumi and non-amigurumi but I agree, I would love to see more of a variety also.

3 Likes

I love making garments just making patterns for them is something i havnt attempted yet so im kinda lurking on the garment side of the ribblr community haha!

5 Likes

I love doing garments and accessories! I usually only do amigurumi as gifts or for my son when he asks. Other than that I love sewing and knitting! I gotta make all the things :rofl::joy: I’m really bad about having multiple WIPs like right now I’m almost done with a sweater test, have three separate pairs of socks going, and a shawl going all that are knitted and I also have a huge bag of bras I’m fixing for a friend with neuropathy who can’t use a needle to fix them herself and also sewing up some cardigans for my husband and also just got asked to teach someone how to knit :rofl::joy: I also have a teething baby and a toddler and work remotely from home so I’m usually doing all the creative knitting things I love to keep my sanity :joy::heartpulse: I would love to see more variety here too! And I would love to see more knitting too!

2 Likes