Ordering Yarn Online

Just curious! When you order yarn online, where do you get it from? (and possibly why?) :0

• Amazon/eBay
  • Places like Joann’s/Michael’s/Hobby Lobby, etc
  • Etsy
  • Specific yarn brand sites (Premier Yarns, etc)
  • Other (please specify below)
  • I don’t buy yarn online

0 voters

8 Likes

If I buy yarn online it’s usually from lovecrafts or hobbii but hobbii is really expensive so that one is less likely

Like I only order online if I can’t find the yarn I need locally (since there aren’t any big yarn stores around), so any special type yarn like anything other than basic acrylic yarn, usually gotta get online

8 Likes

Or if I just can’t seem to find the colors that I need, 2 stores around that sell yarn. One has I think less than 10 colors available and the other I think around 15-20

4 Likes

I’m British so I go to hobbycraft I think it’s a British version of hobby lobby

5 Likes

I have ordered from Amazon a couple of times if it was something specific… Like to match a dye lot… And I couldn’t get it elsewhere. I have ordered more from the big stores (ie joanns, Michael’s) because they didn’t have the option I wanted at a local store.
Recently, I started ordering from ice, and I think they may be my new favorite… But you have to buy in bundles.

5 Likes

I dont normally buy yarn online, sometimes I use amazon but theres a small shop called knitters haven which sell EVERYTHING you need to crochet but idk if this is helpfull where you live lol :joy:

4 Likes

I sometimes buy from Amazon/ebay if it’s cheaper or I can’t find it in Michaels online store or the one I mainly use (I use three places but I could only choose two lol) personal I buy Michaels yarn in store if I’m able to go rather than online

My primary place to buy Yarn is Mary Maxim! They have tons of sales often and occasionally they send me coupons for free shipping! (Just looking at yarn and/or putting them in the cart will sometimes get me them)

The have some usual yarn like Red heart, lion bramd, etc along with their own brand yarn along with kits, patterns, knitting/crochet accessories, etc, I really love this site, I think they’re even having a yarn sale right now lol

6 Likes

Mary Maxim just brings up all the memories! That catalog coming in the mail every month was so exciting! I wanted so many things and didn’t have the money for it.

5 Likes

I love getting their catalogs too! It comes with my orders and I always look through them :laughing:

4 Likes

Herrchners only because some items most stores in canada doesnt have. Ive also bought from hobbii as well.

4 Likes

I’ve ordered from Herschners and Mary Maxim in the past, but haven’t for a long time. Jimmy Beans Wool is my go to for yarn these days. I do get yarn from Michaels Joann’s and Walmart too

3 Likes

I buy yarn from:

Premier online often because free shipping comes at $75 AND they have sales on my favorite yarn line Universal.

Mary Maxim online often because they have yarn sales and gave me a shipping coupon.

Joanns in store and online when they have a good sale. Go to store to feel the yarn :wink:

I did get some yarn from Hobium, La Mia Fettucine that I adore. I love tape yarn the best.

I also bought the chenille yarn from Hobbi which is so GOOD! Have to wait for a sale.

Companies I no longer buy from:

Lion Brand Online-Doesn’t matter if you have a 40% coupon it’s still too expensive and then you add
Shipping!

Amazon - the sellers are not honest about their description of yarn except aforementioned companies. I bought what I thought was Worsted weight it ended up being light fingering.

Temu app and others like it-I can’t trust their description of said yarn. I feel like it’s going to be a surprise bag. If I want a surprise bag I’ll get one from Mary Maxim.

If I had all the money in the world I would splurge on Hobbi, Hobium, and Universal Yarn.

3 Likes

I remember when I went to hobbii because they were really low priced and as long as you were buying a few bits, the postage evened out when I went back to buy yarn when they became more popular again everything was so much more.

3 Likes

I’m in the uk but my main is wool warehouse, knitting network and lovecrafts(but I have a lot of problems with them).
Wool warehouse has an amazing selection and great sales with prices I like.
Knitting network is great for budget yarn
Lovecrafts keep buying over yarn conpanies so they hold a monopoly. This means slcertain yarns I’ve used for years, I can now only buy from them.

I’ve bought from goodvibesyarn who have awesome mystery boxes if, like me, you enjoy trying out different yarns and know you will finish up anything.

5 Likes

Lovecrafts is always out of whatever yarn I want, so forget them.

4 Likes

I buy things that I need quickly or find in-store from Michael’s and Joann, but I also love ordering unique, high-quality yarns from Hobbii, especially when they’re on a great sale!

2 Likes

What I know so far about shopping with Ice yarns.
If you have ever seen the yarn before it goes on the shelf, you have seen that they come in groups in a plastic bag. When you order from Ice, you are ordering one of those bags of whichever yarn. Shipping is charged by the gram, on a scale. You can figure out your shipping fees by adding many random items to your car and going to checkout. Write down your grams and shipping, then start removing items and noting the shipping. The more you buy, the cheaper the shipping.
Armed with the shipping cost chart, you can see the total cost of the yarn.
Yarn will be listed, with full and detailed description, the price per skein /ball, how many skeins /balls in pacage, and how many packages are left in stock. This has the feel of shopping in a huge wholesale warehouse with aisles and aisles of endless options.
I felt like I was well informed of what I was getting and what it would cost… With shipping, my sock yarn still came out to a third of the price of buying it from one of the big box stores

4 Likes

If I order online it’s usually Hobbii, but as @WolfKvB said, it’s become more expensive. Still, they have a sale every other week, and if I am ordering online it’s usually in bulk anyway, so that shaves off a lot.

I have the luck that I have a yarn store here in town that carries a lot of colours of cotton (which is my preferred fibre), and that there’s a wholesaler nearby that sells to private persons once a month, so I don’t order a lot of yarn online anyway.

3 Likes

As French most of physical shops are selling our national brands, (which is more expensive than Hobbii and in lower quality. ) So I buy my yarn online, but when I choose a new website to order on, it’s because they sells my favorite brand of yarn. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lovecraft :slight_smile:

2 Likes