Pokemon

My grandson loves Pokémon. Has anyone made these and if so, what brand of yarn did you use?
Looking for a brand that has the majority of Pokémon colors.
I’m shooting for making a few by next Christmas.
Happy Pokemon GIF

16 Likes

I made one with bernat blanket yarn!

9 Likes

Havent made any pokemon myself, but i would love to see your creations!

8 Likes

My daughter makes them from red heart super saver almost exclusively, then felt for the eyes and markings

10 Likes

I think @WolfKvB would be the best help here!

7 Likes

im making a Jillypuff right now with Bernat premium, but i love all the Bernat yarns

8 Likes

I suppose it’s a matter of taste. The super saver gives the crisp smooth finish of the cartoon. The stiffness will hold up longer and give more structure to your work.

Soft or fuzzy yarns will sacrifice precision and shape to give you something huggable

10 Likes

Ehh I don’t think the yarn I usually use is available where @anoswaldoddity lives, like I get it from a local Zeeman (European store), the yarn isn’t really available online either (it’s zeeman brand and like it’s called royal)

But I think any acrylic yarn works great, I have some projects where I combine different brands as long as they’re all medium weight yarn

I’ll did order some paintbox from Lovecraft site a while back, it has a lot of colors and pretty cheap but they’re thinner than the other yarn I got so I wouldn’t really recommend. However from same site I also ordered some different yarn specifically for noivern pokemon amigurumi (Deramores Studio Chunky Acrylic) thought it’s kinda small skeins, I can add a picture later

So anyway I’d recommend just combining medium acrylic yarn from multiple brands to try get colors that match the pokemon

12 Likes

I use RHSS also for amigurumi. The colors are abundant. The only pokemon I have made so far is a pokeball. haha.

12 Likes

:joy:
gotta catch em all pokemon GIF
strong text

9 Likes

please don’t forget that any item to be given to a small child should not be made with any fuzzy type yarn (chenille, fake fur, blanket) as the process used to make them leaves them prone to shedding and can become a choking hazard.

11 Likes

I thought that is going to be the way it had to go.
Yes, I found paintbox “worsted weight” cotton yarn to be like a thin DK actually. Not impressed.

7 Likes

Gotcha! This is for a 15 year old boy.

6 Likes

then you probably want to go with supersaver and felt for accuracy. There are a variety of methods for weighing bases and reinforcing narrow points and adding wire to keep poses.
https://www.youtube.com/@LePetitSaintCrochet
this lady has a lot of really nice videos and actually uses two different categories for crochet and amigurumi :clap:t2:

8 Likes

If you decide to utilize chenille, I know a lot of people that make and have great chenille patterns. But if you are going for accuracy definitely acrylic, and I find that Red Heart has a great brand as so does Big Twist - I think Hobby Lobby has some decent acrylic in their brand but I don’t shop there often enough to know for sure.

9 Likes

Yes, I’ve watched some of her videos- pretty good info.

7 Likes

love tgat gif! I reccomend some big twist value fron joanns i used it for my charmander
ribblr.com/pattern/little-chonkmander-(no-sew!)-crochet

7 Likes

There are so many Pokemon nowadays (close to 1000 if not more, I lost count after gen 5 :sweat_smile:) that any brand with a large color selection would do. Depending on what kind of yarn you like to use. Would go for value acrylic personally if you want to make a lot of them.

Unrelated to the question, but I suggest you look up loopycatherine on IG if you haven’t already, her specialty are Pokemon patterns :blush: she has lots and lots of them!

8 Likes

good idea

7 Likes

O thanks Winter! I already have a book of Pokémon patterns but that resource be useful for patterns not in the book.,

6 Likes