Question? Do you guys think there should be more TV shows about Fibre arts?

It has come to my attention that there has been a lack of TV shows in the field of fibre arts whilst there are ton for baking, woodwork and jewellery. So I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. Cause crochet, knit, t crochet are beautiful art form but we have NO representation and it really annoys me because so many people love this art form but we can really express on TV shows. I’ve emailed a few channels about it but I’ve got no response… So maybe this community could help.

Thanks. Happy crafting :smiling_face:

10 Likes

There have been many over the years, and still are on PBS.
A lot of them moved to the internet/YouTube like Vickie Howell and the Interweave shows.
There used to be quite a few on HGTV till the channel went to reality style stuff, then DIY till the same thing happened. There is one of the antenna broadcast channels that I don’t remember the name of that shows crafting all day and some of those are knitting/crochet… You just have to look for them.

5 Likes

Oh…I live in the UK so I probs wouldn’t access to any of these and like i meant in the style of Bake Off/sewing bee where people would compete to win a prize something like that:)

4 Likes

I’m quite sure that the length of time it takes to make objects would make it prohibitive for that style of show. They usually have a one or 2 hour time frame for the thing they make.
And to be honest, that kind of show turns off so many people due to the manufactured drama and banality of the hosts/judges… I would rather not be represented that way

5 Likes

Just did a quick Google search, and while we have a lot of them here in the US, I couldn’t find any UK ones.

6 Likes

Oh that’s a shame, hopefully there will be more in the future:D

5 Likes

I agree, o wouldn’t want to be represented that way either.

5 Likes

If you want to know why, on HBO max there’s a show called craftopia. Kids compete to craft whatever the theme is. There’s a episode where one of the kids skill was crochet. They really struggled to highlight him at all. While the other kids going nuts with glue and scissors and glitter, after collecting his yarn he just sits there crocheting and while they try to talk to him to get content it’s kind of cruel if he’s counting. That’s the only time I’ve ever seen knitting or crochet in a show and it suddenly made sense. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

There are plenty of knitting and crochet shows out there that you can also access through YouTube, but anything beyond instructional would not be a money maker

6 Likes

ya, i agree! it would definitely be cool to see like a knitting or crochet competition! there would definitely be a lot of things you could do with that!

5 Likes

Yeah same I would defo enter!

4 Likes

I know! However in the uk we do have a pottery show where the contestants get 8+ hours per piece and while it’s drying they compete in mini challenges then at the end the judges choose their favourite and their least favourite and their least favourite gets voted out :slight_smile: I think a similar concept might work for a fibre arts show :smile:

4 Likes

These types of crafts take so much time and attention that shows dedicated to the stuff would be boring as hell, but there certainly should be more media visisbility.
Like characters in more tv shows who one of their main hobbies is crocheting their own clothes so every episode they have a knew handmade outfit or something and its their quirky style. Etc.

4 Likes

Yeh r u talking abt the great pottery throw down? I find it really annoying that they have a tiny design show but not a fibre arts show!

4 Likes

There was a glass blowing contest line that, and a. Special fx make up show like that, I still don’t know that the time invested would produce the excitement factor those types of shows thrive on

5 Likes

i know right! why can there be one for pottery but not for fibre arts! (and yeh that is the dhow im talking abt lol)

3 Likes

thats true yeah

3 Likes

Think about it, they would have to come up with rediculous crap nobody would wear so that the average person wouldn’t look at it say “so what, it’s a sock”
Only another fiber artist can appreciate what went into it or understand what is being said when explaining why it’s special. And there just are not enough of us to keep a show or that running

4 Likes

Thats really true tbh

3 Likes

Have you checked out Making It? It’s not specifically fiber arts, but there are fiber artist on it! It’s a crafting competition show hosted by Amy poehler and Nick Offerman. It’s really a cute feel good show and I love it!
Additionally I play a game with my husband where I point out any fiber art pieces on the set of any show and he says “mhmm” lol

3 Likes