Ribblr of the Week: catching up with Alix 🏅

This week we are catching up with Alix - who’s been on Ribblr for a couple of years.
Feel free to read our first ROTW with Alix here.

Great to catch up with! For those who haven’t met you yet, can you share a little about you?
Hi! My name is Alix and I have been a knitwear designer for several years. I gravitate towards patterns with color work. I’m a full time therapist where I work on the mental health side of chronic illness.

Where and when did you start designing?
I was living and working in France. I had a lot of free time and the friends I lived with all knitted, so we spent hours knitting every day. I had a sweater I wanted to wear that I couldn’t find a pattern for and made my first self-drafted sweater that became my first pattern.

Last time we spoke you were 100% certain that knitting is your go-to craft. Has it changed?
My heart belongs to knitting but I have recently started cross stitching and I love it so much!

That’s really cool! What was the longest project you worked on recently?
My recent KAL is probably the longest project I’ve worked on in terms of knit time. It’s been really slow going to knit an I-cord that I’ve turned into a scarf, but very meditative and fulfilling!

What project are you currently working on?
I’ve been working really hard to get through my WIPS (finish or frog) but I feel like I haven’t made a dent! I think I have 4 truly active projects on my needles – my I-cord scarf, a cardigan, a second sample of my new vest pattern, and a birthday sweater for my fiancée that I started in… August.

You have such unique designs- do you have a favorite?
This question is too hard for me – all of my makes are special and all of my designs are my babies! It’s like trying to pick a favorite child.

What does your designing process look like?
I always start with an idea of something that I’d like to wear but that I don’t already see a pattern for. Then I knit a sample and take fairly sketchy notes. Usually I leave it for several months and then come back to write the pattern and curse former me for keeping such bad notes.

This is exactly where Ribbuild comes in :wink:
And these days, what inspires you to create/design?
I actually took a year long break from designing and am finally testing a new pattern. I had a lot of changes going on in my personal life with graduating from my masters program and starting a full time job, and I lost the joy and passion for creating that used to be there. I’m so excited that it’s come back, because I love taking an idea from my head and being able to see it and hold it once it’s finished.

Pop culture time! Last time you recommended listening to the soundtrack of for Come From Away - a Broadway show. Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend today?
I’ve recently gotten really into the Addams Family Musical. If you’re a fan of musical theatre, I can’t highly recommend it enough. It’s such a fun show!

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
My favorite Ribblr feature is the automatic translation into other languages. I get soooo sad when I see a great pattern and I can’t knit it because it hasn’t been translated.

Lastly - Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr :purple_heart:
In October of last year I was nominated for a pattern of the month, and @Ernilicrochet was nominated as well. I found her on there and we had the sweetest DM exchange – her work is absolutely INCREDIBLE and I’m so glad I found her through Ribblr!

Check out irunthisknit shop :point_down:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

16 Likes

Congratulations on ROTW :partying_face::tada::partying_face::tada:

4 Likes

Ooo congrats on Ribblr of the Week again! :partying_face::tada:

5 Likes

Wow ROTW twice?! Impressive!

3 Likes