Ribblr of the week: meet Kaylee! 🏅

Hi Ribblrs!

In case you missed it, last week we featured Lydia, an emerging knitting designer. And this week, we’re delighted to introduce you to an up-and-coming crochet designer.

Say hello to Kaylee (@CrochetbyKaylee) of Crochet by Kaylee - our Ribblr of the week!

Hello Kaylee! Please tell us a little about yourself :smiley:
I’m Kaylee! I am a 21 year old crocheter and I live in Kansas City, Missouri. I run my crochet business full-time, which I am so grateful for. I can happily say that crocheting is a part of who I am, and it’s such an incredible feeling to be able to do what I love as a job. When I’m not crocheting, you can catch me roller skating or collecting squishmallows! I have a HUGE love for all animals, (sea animals are my weakness!) so creating cute amigurumi animals fills my heart with so much joy!

Did you start your crafting journey a long time ago?
I started crafting at the age of 15 when a group of friends taught me how to knit! My love for yarn and fiber arts grew as I got older. At the age of 16 or 17, I got interested in crochet and decided to teach myself by watching youtube videos! It took lots of trial and error to get where I’m at today.

And how did you start designing?
Once I felt confident in my crochet skills, I spent lots of time learning new stitches, techniques, etc. I slowly started to learn how to make my own designs by putting random stitches together, and seeing what works best for me.

What inspires you to create and design?
The crochet community is a huge inspiration! I love my community, seeing everyone else make such beautiful work always motivates me to create!

You’ve got many popular designs. Is there a particular design you are most proud of?
My proudest make is my crochet strawberry cow! (It is a squishmallow inspired design, the strawberry horns are just too cute!)

So far, what were the longest and shortest projects you’ve worked on?
My longest project was a pair of pants that I made a few years ago. It took me 2 weeks just to get one leg done (lots of trial and error to get the sizing correct). In total the pants took me about a month to make!
My shortest projects are my mini chunky bees. They take about 30 minutes - an hour to make!

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
My favorite feature on Ribblr is the doodle mode! When using patterns I often have to modify patterns since I typically use different yarn than what’s recommended. Adding certain tips and notes for myself in the future is SO helpful! There have been too many times where I’ve forgotten what I did differently in a pattern that I used before.

Finally, would you like to pay it forward? Give a shoutout to a fellow Ribblr!
I’d like to give a shoutout to @madebymaiii, her designs make my amigurumi heart so happy, and to top that off, she is truly such a sweet person!

Thank you for sharing Kaylee! It’s great to learn more about you and your wonderful designs :purple_heart:

Enjoyed reading this? Check out our previous Ribblr of the week posts!

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus win our special Ribblr of the week gold badge🏅)

Which Crochet by Kaylee designs is your favorite? :face_with_monocle:

18 Likes

Kaylee is one of the nicest crocheter I have come in contact with. She is true and honest and very supportive

Love her work and designs!!! I love the mushroom lighter holder !!

3 Likes

I love Kaylee’s designs! The cow is my favorite :cow:

1 Like

She works hard at her designs and you can tell!!

1 Like

I love the cow design! My best friend collects cow, everything. I may have to try and make her one. @CrochetbyKaylee, I cannot work with blanket yarn or overly soft yarns because they take every bit of moisture out of my skin (always told my husband he was lucky he never had to get me a cashmere sweater! lol) is there another yarn you would recommend to use in its place? I am new to making amigurumi and love the couple things I have done so far.

1 Like

The sushi :sushi:

1 Like

Hi Kaylee, nice to meet you !

What a unique combination- a cow and strawberries! I feel I should have a cow in my life after living in Milton Keynes for over a decade!

1 Like