Safety Eyes

Girl, getting ANYONE to share how to embroider facial features is like looking for a needle in a haystack!!! :triumph:
I’ve even asked a few designers and authors to share-NADA

I reached out to an amigurumi blog for best source of eyes. I’ve bought from there several times and I’m very pleased, They are on Etsy SnacksiesHandicraft. Very good prices in my opinion. They carry these kind of washers-which work very well.

Also, with the crappy washers I melt the end of the eye, press it flat into a circle, I’ll share a picture later-I’m not at home right now.

Glass eyes is a great company with some cool eyes!

On Amazon I found this brand to be of better quality ARTCXC. I tried some others and they were so flimsy!

7 Likes

really?!
is this another lost craft?
once upon a time, it was the common way to embroider your dolls and stuffed animals after they were finished because that’s what gives the face some shape…think cabbage patch dolls (which I made SO. MANY. OF. with my grandmother for all my younger cousins)
if I find a good article, I’ll post the link, if not I’ll just write the instructions as a free pattern and post that.

7 Likes

Yes please!

6 Likes

I’m so glad I’m not the only one struggling with all of this LOL

I will attempt some felt if I can get my hands on some soon, that seems like the best bet for baby products. I mostly do safety eyes for child (think gradeschooler)/teen/adult projects. I’ve avoided baby lovey’s for the reason that I just can’t find a great way to make eyes. But felt and sewing would probably work!

But yes, if you find an article on that PLEASE share. It would be cool to try out as well!

6 Likes

Not the one I thought I had saved on Pinterest but here’s a link
It’s also recommended to use embroidery floss to say stitch on eyes or eyebrows.
I’ve used worsted myself.

6 Likes

If you’ve ever used and embroidery machine you do the same thing but by hand. I’m in the car right now so I can’t get photos or anything atm. If you wanna make lips you put a yarn across for how wide you want it then wrap yarn around it. Maybe I’ll make a free pattern about it later I see no reason not to share. :two_hearts:

Edit if you want the small details take worsted yarn and split it so you used 2 strands of it instade of all 4

8 Likes

I use both! It’s whatever I’m in the mood for, if I don’t have safety eyes near me I’ll just use some black yarn and freehand eyes/mouth and if I don’t have some black yarn near me I’ll put in some safety eyes! Whatever’s most convenient, unless I have a specific plan :smiley:

5 Likes

Not mine but I just came across it and it’s the way I was talking about it shows the eye process at least. ⚘amigurumicik on Instagram: "#youtube #pattern #handmade #amigurumi #amigurumi#amigurumidoll #knitdoll #crochet #toys#baby"

4 Likes

Um, question,

I read the entire thread and I don’t understand what you’re responding to. :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Oh did I respond to the wrong post? I was looking for the one that said people wouldnt share how to do faces. :sweat_smile:My bad

4 Likes

This is the right post

3 Likes

No, it’s the right post.
I “think” you’re trying to post a link to show us something?

But the link looks like a bunch of hashtags.

3 Likes

If you click it, it takes you to the video!

Thank you Dovetail! :smiley:
It only shows the hastag as that’s how Instagram does links its weird.

4 Likes

Oh!! I see! Thank you for clearing that up. I’ll click on it then.

3 Likes

i just use the ones from my local craft store since i’m in college (and i just started crocheting two months ago). if i don’t use the safety eyes, i’ll just make a small magic circle or just attempt to stitch an eye in thread. but safety eyes are a lot more convenient

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t realize insta links do that, sorry I would have tried to get something less weird looking.

4 Likes

I just learned about this tool. I havent tried it yet but watched it used and it put the eyes on like they were butter. :wink: The one below is from Etsy but I would think Amazon may have them too.

4 Likes

Does one of those things do all the sizes?
Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

This would save my fingers so much pain thank you!!

4 Likes

Here are the details from the Etsy Ad. I hope this helps! I cannot wait to get one myself. I think there is two sizes…small and large. For the different size eyes and noses.

3 Likes