Scissors

Can i take scissors on a plane? I’m going to Italy so it’s a long flight. I have these little scissors (I attached the link) that i think will be fine but i just want to check. Also, if anybody has ever done crochet (or knit) on a plane what could you take? Scissors

9 Likes

From the TSA website:

“Yes.”

“If packed in carry-on, they must be less than 4 inches from the pivot point.”

8 Likes

thank you :green_heart:

5 Likes

I’m not sure about those, but I have traveled with scissors before. Fiskar does sell scissors that fold and are tsa compliant.

7 Likes

never seen folding scissors!!! I couldn’t find the exact one so mine is about 2.5-3 inches. Thank you

6 Likes

You can also get a yarn cutter pendant, no open blade at all

10 Likes

never seen those too! thank you

6 Likes

They come in all kinds of finishes I’ve even had them in plastic with one blade

9 Likes

I recomend these too as some people have met stricter security who haven’t allowed tiny baby scissors but the pendants are discrete and like you said, no open bkade at all

8 Likes

I’ve taken one of these yarn cutting pendants on flights internationally too:) never had any trouble:) but they tend to be more worried about my baby food stash​:woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

I flew last month and was able to take my regular crochet scissors, they are under 4 inches. I really like the idea of the pendant though. Other items I took were my hook case & 4 skeins of yarn. (Enough for 2 projects).

7 Likes

As everyone said, typically, yes, the above examples are allowed.

The ‘devil’s in the details’ answer is it depends on which flight/agent/country/mood.

Best suggestion is don’t take your favorites as carry-on just on the off chance something doesn’t pass for whatever reason.

(I’ve also seen people suggest taking nail clippers to clip the yarn. I do not know how well that works.)

7 Likes

Thank you :green_heart:

5 Likes

I agree, one flight they didn’t object to the small scissors I had. Another flight they did ( these were all domestic).

6 Likes

do you know about international flights?

5 Likes

i don’t want them to take it on the way back

5 Likes

The airline you’re on probably has a page listing their allowances/requirements. They probably differ from country to country though.

They may also have a question line you could use to ask someone directly?

5 Likes

For your scissor question, I would look at the website for the airline your are taking. I always bring nail clippers instead of scissors just in case, but as others have said, small scissors are usually fine. Occasionally I have found airlines that don’t allow metal needles or hooks, but will allow wooden ones.

7 Likes

We found, flying from England to Lanzarote, no metal beit sharps, nail clippers, scissors, not even a metal crochet hook! I used bamboo hooks. It is the airport security not necessarily the airline

7 Likes

eek! I hate bamboo hooks!

4 Likes