Solved: What is this

What on earth is this
It has something to do with crochet but i dont know what

12 Likes

Probably a stitch marker. Not sure of the size with this picture though.

6 Likes

It is a stitch holder. Can be bought in different sizes.

8 Likes

Stitch holder, but it’s more for knitting… Sometimes you need to keep the stitches “live” but not work them, so you put them on here and close it so they won’t unravel. Then you can come back to them, put them back on your needle to work then again.

edit to fix autocorrect

13 Likes

I’ve always known them to be called kilt pins but I’m not sure the purpose on them in crafting other than holding 2 pieces of material together. I’ve got a few in accessory sets and use for stitch markers mostly. I would probably use to hold cardigan fronts for adding buttons now

7 Likes

Stitch holder good if you need to put some live stitches on hold and come back to it later like a sleeve. I only found out when i started knitting

6 Likes

Not quite, the end of this will have a divot, not a point

5 Likes

This is a stitch holder.
When knitting, you have entire rows of live stitches that can come undone if they don’t have a needle/waste yarn/holder through them (like a run in panty hose)
While knitting, you will find there are areas that will need to be reserved for another section or direction (like sleeves on a sweater or the thumb on a mitten, or the toe of a sock) instead of binding off those stitches, you put them onto a holder of some sort and later you will move them back to a needle and knit them for a seamless piece.
The end of the stitch holder should have a tiny divot so that you can stick the point of your needle into it and slide the stitches across easily without dropping any… If it doesn’t have a divot, it isn’t worth keeping, you could just use waste yarn.

9 Likes

it was like 3 inches long

5 Likes

@Jessica88 @OBabyNMore @GotenkslovesmeCraft @Pinksunflowers1 @anon5108995 thanks for your help! bit confusing because it came in a crochet kit but its definately a stitch holder for knitting :heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse:

8 Likes

There are a lot of crochet kits made by people that have no clue about crochet… They see it listed with knit and crochet and assume it’s for both… It used to irritate me to no end to see it…

8 Likes

thats true!

5 Likes

It can also be used in crochet to hold seams together for sewing, I suppose
I think my granny might have used them to pin granny squares together in stacks in her basket
But yes, usually for crochet you would use one tiny locking stitch marker to save a live stitch

7 Likes

yes, normally i just use the little ones but i suppose you could use it to hold seams together!

5 Likes

Man I’m glad I know what that is for now! I had a feeling it’s purpose was to hold stitches but I was a little confused :smile:

6 Likes

I have those in multiple sizes. I use them for large yarns as stitch marker

5 Likes

no idea, but good luck finding out!

5 Likes

its a stith holder! there are differences between a stich marker and a stitch holder. stich markers are for marking specific stiches, whioe stitch holders are for holding stiches in knitting. I got 2 of those in a crochet kit but had no idea wat they were lol​:joy:

5 Likes

I like this idea.

6 Likes

It was just too big :joy:

5 Likes