Spinning?

Do we have a thread or area for spinning chat? I did a search and didn’t find anything but that’s not to say I couldn’t overlook it :wink:

I love to spin but sometimes get out of the habit and it always helps give me the kick I need when I can chat with others about what they are making and share what is on my wheel :).

Thanks!

13 Likes

Not yet, this is the first one I think!
Lead the way :slight_smile: I’d love to see a photo of your work!

5 Likes

I’m fascinated by it… it’s something I’d really like to learn… sometime… in the middle of everything else I do… LOL I have a friend in North Dakota who spins… she dyes and spins the most gorgeous stuff!

6 Likes

I enjoy spinning as well. Right now I am doing a push to finish my last two active WIPS in knitting and then I am going to finish what is on my wheel. Probably not until November though…

6 Likes

Thanks!! I will try to put some up tomorrow.

Isn’t that the truth!! There isn’t enough time in the day for all the creative pursuits, much less everything else :wink:

Nice! What do you have on your wheel?

I started a project way back in the summer (maybe during original TdF) and haven’t touched it since. :frowning: I get side tracked so easily.

3 Likes

I finished some rainbow fiber in the summer and now I am spinning black fiber. Then my plan is to ply the two together. Hopefully it turns out in real life like I see it in my mind

6 Likes

Spinning is on my “someday” list as well! I seriously don’t have the room right now for it, but I just love the idea of making my own yarn. I used to have a friend that had a drop spindle, I kick myself all the time for not asking her to teach me!

5 Likes

I love chatting about spinning. I didn’t spin much for a few years, but got back in the habit of spinning this year. Sometimes I think I like to talk about spinning as much as I actually like spinning.

5 Likes

Ohhh, that sounds lovely!!! It is so fun to see what plying does to a single, how it affects the finished yarn!
I have one that I plyed with an undyed brown romney and it gave it a beautiful autumnal look.

6 Likes

Hopefully the opportunity will come around again some time. If not though, there are some GREAT videos on youtube.

LOL! I totally understand that!
My spinning tends to go in fits & spurts. I’ll spin nonstop for a few weeks and then set it aside to do more knitting and then forget to do it again. I think I get more spinning done when I’m sticking to my schedule better because one of the things in my morning routine is at least 10 minutes of spinning each day :wink:

3 Likes

Oh, I know! I live in my Mum’s house (I’m her caregiver) and I have next to nothing in the way of space. My room looks like a yarn mill exploded in there. LOL

5 Likes

I love spinning, but it is sometimes a back burner thing. I am working on some poly pay/alpaca blend that I blended on my homemade blending board. The Knitting Expat has a YouTube podcast and one of her videos shows how to make your own blending board, cost about half the price of buying one and a ton less than a drum carder (tho I would love one of those ;p). I was going to give the percentages of wool to alpaca, but :joy::joy:, I forgot. I made two rolags, one is now finished on one bobbin and the other is in the process of being spun on the other bobbin. It’s for a hat, so I’m thinking it is 20/80, wool to alpaca, the wool was added for durability. My son and his spouse have an alpaca farm, and when I want some I ask for 2nds, which are still luxuriously soft and they oblige me :), how luck am I! But I still have some alpaca bumps from a fleece my daughter bought me a few years ago that I sent off to be processed. The polypay is from a friend who raises meat sheep and grows corn on their farm. The lambs are a cross from the Polypay ewe (a nice wearable wool and decent meat producer but better mom than the Suffolk ewes) and the Suffolk ram (a courser wool, but good meat producer) and once in a while when they shear before lambing (only the lambs are sold for meat) she will save me a fleece from one of their ewes. The fleeces are not coated so they are pretty full of vm, not something I can wash and clean, so I skirt it pretty heavily and pick out as much vm as I can then send it to a fiber mill to be processed into spinning fiber or yarn. Not a cheap process. Sorry for the lengthy reply ;p.

7 Likes

I only understood about 75% of that, but it has made me curious to learn more! Thanks for the youtube recommendation, do you have any other channels you suggest watching for spinning beginners?

7 Likes

I love to spin, it really is very meditative for me.
I don’t spin enough though because I get side tracked by my knitting :blush: which is my most favourite craft.
I’m currently spinning a rather nice merino/zwarbles blend top in blackberry colours. The zwarbles gives it a lovely dark, chocolate appearance with pops of pink’s and purples where the merino has taken the dyes!

6 Likes

That sounds beautiful! Can you post a picture?

5 Likes

Here’s a photo (I hope :thinking: I’m not very technical!)

In fact this isn’t the fibre I thought it was! It’s a moorit Shetland and silk top. Not sure where my merino/zwarbles has gone but it’ll be in the stash somewhere :joy:

14 Likes

The colors are gorgeous!!

4 Likes

Oh wow that’s beautiful! Thank you for sharing :heart:

5 Likes

I’m a spinner! Love seeing what others are doing. Right now I have a low micron merino blend that I’m trying to keep at a consistent 50 wpi to make it a fractal two ply lace weight.

13 Likes

Wow! I love the color combination! Looks beautiful! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes