Spinning?

Oh my word!!! That is gorgeous!!

4 Likes

so beautiful!!!

5 Likes

Wow, that’s really nice!
(and what a cute patient dog :slight_smile:)

6 Likes

Thank you! Yes he is always nearby.

6 Likes

That’s beautiful!
Have you any plans for what it might be used for once you’ve finished?

4 Likes

Not sure, as it’s a challenge spin for me. Trying to maintain a cobweb weight for a lace 2 ply.

6 Likes

I’ll be interested to see the results! I was hoping to get a laceweight out of my Shetland moorit/silk tops but I think I’ve reverted to my usual thickness which tends to give me a fingering weight 2ply :thinking:

5 Likes

About 1 1/2 years ago I decided to do a fractal spin with some scrap colors of roving that had been given to me that were not colors I usually gravitate to. I thought I would do an experiment with a fractal spin with those colors. The first picture is how I put the roving colors together, the two rolags in the back were spun one after the other on one bobbin, the 4 smaller rolags were spun one after the other the other on a second bobbin and then I played them and the 2nd picture was the resulting yarn. Even tho’ orange is not a color I tend to gravitate too, I thought the skein turned out to be pretty. The Ice cream is in the picture because the colors reminded me of sherbet ice cream so that is what I called this skein.

Spinning can be a fun adventure:).

7 Likes

That looks amazing! You must be really proud :star_struck:

3 Likes

Thank you, it was a fun spin to watch develop :). Found a new color palate I didn’t realize I liked!

3 Likes

The truest truth!

3 Likes

That combination has potential that’s for sure

2 Likes

no one asked but just in case you enjoy seeing an unique (handmade with recycled parts) spinning wheel, here is mine… :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Wow that is cool, from an old treadle sewing machine?

4 Likes

Yes :laughing:

3 Likes

I think that cool as heck!!

3 Likes

This my favorite wheel, a Kromski Polonaise, a friend left it to me in her will. I had no idea she left it to me until her sister brought it to me. I think of her every time I spin. It spins like a dream. I’m working on an alpaca/wool blend I blended on a blending board for a hat for my grand daughter. My son has an alpaca farm and I can get 2nds from his herd (still very soft ;)) and I have wool from a fleece given to me by a friend from her Polypay flock, which I send to a fiber mill to be washed and processed into roving. I will dye the skein before knitting it. Start to finish is such a satisfying journey.

6 Likes

That was a really nice gesture from her.
The wheel looks amazing, spinning with it must be awesome too.

:point_up_2: so true, the whole process is incredible!! Except the washing part maybe? It’s kind of disgusting…

What are your plans for the dyeing?

3 Likes

She wants a lighter purple, but not light enough to be lavender. I’ll use an acid dye, you have to wear a mask so you don’t breath the particles but they dye animal fibers well. I have a enamel pot I use strictly for dying. :).

3 Likes

All purple hues are awesome to me, hope you get exactly what you’re aiming for! I haven’t tryed acid dyes yet, though I have some books on the subject. I’ve decided to go the natural dyes route, at least for now…

4 Likes