Testing Frustration

I’ve noticed in the last few months that there are a good amount of Creators who use Ribblr to find testers and then after they get what they need they leave the test opened. I wish there was a way to hold both sides accountable. If you are not gonna gift the pattern it’s best to be upfront about it. I have 3 patterns that were tested and the creators just ghost after the test. They don’t even have a shop for the patterns on here which is starting to make me feel like these patterns might not be their own work.

22 Likes

Ive seen this happen recently too! I tested a pattern and its taken them a while to gift. Sometimes its designer choice, as to some testers need more time. So designers wait to gift when all testers are finished! But Maybe try contacting the designer & ask! I finally got gifted this morning for the pattern test i did.

10 Likes

I’ve had quite a few designers leave things I’ve tested open. I usually just message them about two weeks after the due date and almost all of them have immediately gifted me the pattern. However, there was a pattern I tested a month ago where the designer completely dropped all contact and won’t respond to any of the testers. So now no karma which sucks.

10 Likes

At least the others responded ! that leaves just 1 bad apple who didnt unfortunately.

6 Likes

The designer of the one I got ghosted on is still active which sucks even more

7 Likes

I’ve tried contacting them one even deleted the whole profile. That’s my problem. I’ve already tried reaching out these are creators who just ghosted. No response nothing

5 Likes

Seriously :woman_facepalming:

6 Likes

Maybe Ribblr deleted their profile :frowning: sometimes that can happen if the user gets reported for stealing patterns or not respecting community guidelines.

It really sucks when they go no contact tho. I have a bunch of patterns in my testing tab I’ve finished months ago and never got gifted. I did a cleanup recently but some are really good and I don’t wanna lose them :dizzy_face::sweat_smile:. At least I can still access those, unlike some testers who just decided to remove and not gift :/. I once tested a pattern as a favor and that happened, the designer removed me as tester and was never to be seen again, but my picture is still on their IG -_-

8 Likes

Me personally, I forget about it at times. But my testers tell me when they’re done. Not everyone does journals so when I do choose all my testers I message them all the same thing, and tell me when they’re done so I can gift and remove. Or if they even need more time if something comes up.

7 Likes

Yeah that’s the other thing that is frustrating. I just want mutual respect. I totally know this is a complicated subject, I just needed to rant for a sec, vent some frustration. Thanks y’all

10 Likes

I know what you mean! I think I had one test from last year that I finally just decided to remove myself as they never even posted it on Ribblr yet :pensive:

Thankfully that hasn’t happened to me again, I believe it could be because they’re new/have no idea about, others could be because they’re waiting to publish/wait on deadline/wait for all testers to finish, or perhaps they just don’t understand the etiquette (?) of testing yet. I’ve heard others message designers and they get it but to be completly ghosted is horrible :pensive: It isn’t even about the karma either as testers we decide to help designers using our own time, materials, and money so at the very least let testers know before hand if the pattern will be gifted as compensation for that or not, sure we don’t have to do that for them but we want to help them make the best pattern they can to put out, so keeping in communication is a must, I wonder how we could remedy this?

Something like karma for a user’s shop or something similar that testers do for designers that others can look at to decide if they are good to test for almost like a questionnaire?

Edit: another idea I have is when designers post a tester call there’s already words there but things are blank for the designer to fill on like

Due date:
Is a specific yarn/yarn color needed?:
Any other materials needed:
Any other requirements you have:
Will this be gifted to testers who complete the test:
Etc

8 Likes

Yess! I love both of your ideas! They would be so helpful for us testers

7 Likes

I agree with the second idea. I mentioned a month or 2 ago on a different topic that having a tick box should be provided in regards to whether you will or will not be gifting the pattern with completion.

7 Likes

Yeah the tick box sounds like a good idea too! :smile:

6 Likes

Oh my!

5 Likes

There should be real consequences for both sides when things go wrong.

5 Likes

I like both those ideas. It would be great for beginners when designing patterns to have a baseline of what info to provide for testing. I know I was completely lost and asked a bunch of people before I had a pattern tested.

3 Likes

This is why I personally like for my testers to do journals just so I can easily tell who finished. O: I’ve had so many people apply and say they will test and then they don’t.

2 Likes

I love both of those ideas!

1 Like