The Yarn Business

Yeah, it’s a little crazy. I knew they raised their transaction fee and I wasn’t too concerned about that because 6.5% is still similar to what a lot of online services/platforms charge for sales. However, I didn’t even realize that there’s also a 3% (+$0.25) processing fee for any orders accepted with a credit or debit card. Since the majority of customers are paying with their cards, that means the fee is really over 9.5% per order :frowning:

When your product only costs $4, that extra 25 cents included in the processing fee and the 20 cents that it costs to list an item adds up to be 11.25% of your sale price. So, when we’re selling digital patterns for around $4, we’re paying at least 20.75% of our sale price in fees.

Then if you use Etsy ads, or any other sort of Etsy subscriptions that needs to be taken into consideration…

I think Etsy was charging 2.5% per order and only accepting PayPal when I started my shop in 2011 lol

6 Likes

I still like using Etsy for my finished items.
Especially since they do my sales tax in all states, that way I only have to deal with local sales tax.
:woman_shrugging:t2:

8 Likes

This was very helpful to read as someone who is just about to sell their first pattern. Maybe with the new chat feature we can create a room specifically for pattern sellers or perhaps ribblr can make a topic about it.

7 Likes

I like using Etsy too! The fees definitely haven’t made me change my mind about using Etsy. I just need to readjust my prices any time they increase their fees. I feel like it’s worth it though for the product positioning. People visit Etsy, ravelry, Ribblr, etc specifically to look for certain items so it’s less marketing that I have to do myself.

5 Likes

Yup. Same here.
Way back when I hosted a website (mainly for blogging and my photography), used different blog providers etc.
I know getting traffic is hard and I suck at making websites pretty.

I also don’t want to pay for tge services, tools and put in all the time to put up 200 products again.
Nah,…. :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes