Tips for Beginner Crocheters

We all made mistakes when we first learned to crochet, right? Whether your grandmother taught you, or you taught yourself with YouTube, crocheting was hard in the beginning. I remember the first project I made in 4th grade. It looked like a dog had chewed on a napkin. I frogged the project many times and it still didn’t look right. This might sound a bit cheesy, but there were times when I was about to give up, but I kept going.

So, former crocheters, what tips can we give to the beginners out there? Please share your experiences, advice, mistakes, or anything to boost the less experienced. Anyways, hope you have a wonderful day!

Edit: AHHH YOU’RE ALL SO KIND AND SWEET

15 Likes

I always didn’t Pull my stitches tight enough as a beginner!

10 Likes

Stitch markers! Get stitch markers!!! And check your gauge! Always check gauge if the pattern provides it! It’s important that’s why they included it.

15 Likes

Very true!!

7 Likes

Well I’m still a crocheter, but definitely make sure to count/mark your stitches! I remember trying to sc a small square to get used to crocheting and each round it got smaller and smaller until it ended up a triangle somehow :sweat_smile: wasn’t what I was going for but definitely taught me to count my stitches, until I made the same mistake with an amigurumi for an octopus that somehow become both an octopus and squid lol :rofl:

10 Likes

A very funny squitopus

9 Likes

Mainly to relax your grip on both the yarn and the hook

7 Likes
  1. Let your hook do all the work.
  2. When reading patterns pay attention to the punctuation marks. They are important
8 Likes

Yes, I named him squidopus lol :smile:

9 Likes

1- become best friend with your stitch markers. They will save you more times than you can count.

2- learn both US & UK terms, along with chart symbols. That will open up your world to even more patterns to try.

3- try patterns from as many designers as possible. There are so many styles of writing out there so it is useful to become familiar with as many as possible. In addition to writing styles we all have differing construction techniques. This will help to develop your own style.

4- keep your ball bands until you are sure you have finished your project. That way if your run out you will know exactly what you were using, in addition it helps the yarn shop to track down exactly what you are after. A small scrap of yarn doesn’t really help us shop owners find the right one or shade you are after.

5- set yourself the task of always trying something new. A new technique, a new style of crochet (ie Tunisian, filet, broomstick, hairpin, mosiac, interlocking). There is so much to learn and after 10 years of crocheting daily I still haven’t learned it all.

6- take regular breaks if you are crocheting or knitting for long lengths of time, and exercise your fingers, wrists, elbows and shoulders. Take it from someone with chronic pain issues, if you don’t exercise and take breaks this can cause repetitive strain issues and carpal tunnel syndrome.

7- most importantly enjoy the journey and the transformation. Celebrate yourself and your work after each project. Be bold and reach up to the next level. Don’t limit yourself, push yourself.

An after thought - find a hook that is comfortable for you, it needs to fit in your hand relaxed and like it’s a part of you, an extension of your hand. An uncomfortable hook makes for an uncomfortable experience. Like someone else said further up, let your hook do the work. I think of it like steering a car, guiding it to where I want it to go.

I hope this helps you all

12 Likes

My first project was a blanket. I learned it’s easy to make an extra stitch in the chain 2, (or skip a stitch on the end also). So yes, count stitches, and use stitch markers.

You could even put a stitch marker in the first / last stitch, until you can get used to the look of the last stitch.

7 Likes

That’s what I get my students to do when they progress onto working rows. Hence why stitch markers should be your best friend. :grin:

6 Likes

I would say to start with small projects where gauge isn’t that important. I started with face scrubbies, coasters and small amigurumis. Don’t get frustrated if things don’t look perfect in the beginning, it just takes practice.

5 Likes

squidopus lol

4 Likes

Yes :100: st markers needed! Also don’t hold the yarn to tight or to loose :]

5 Likes

I would always accidentally crochet in the back loops only. Make sure to go through both loops of the V

7 Likes

What is also very important is a steady hand. i recently noticed it when teaching my friend how to crochet. Moving the hands too much is making everything just less enjoyable and more painful and slows down the working speed enormously :melting_face:. Another tip is watching as many tutorials as possible or learning as much as possible. I noticed it a few years later after learning how to crochet from my great grandmother. I didn’t know the easy way how to make a magic ring, wasn‘t familiar with all the great pattern out in the internet and had never heard of crochet platforms. Tutorials also help learning many new techniques and finding inspiration. :white_heart:

5 Likes

Don’t compare your work with anyone else’s. We are individuals & our work should embrace that. Use those fancy internet photos as a guide only.

6 Likes

My biggest mistakes have been stitch counting or lack thereof …lots of frogging occurred.

• Practice tension
  • Find a way to hold your yarn and hooks that feels comfy for you.
  • take your time
  • must haves stitch markers, guage ruler, darning needle, pins and good scissors
  • take time with learning new stitches.
    Great projects to start for beginners dish cloths, blankets
    Dont be afraid to learn new techniques or challenge your skills.
    :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
7 Likes

I wish I would have saved all my gauge swatches over the years. You could make them all the same size, like 6" by 6" and use them for a blanket later. Also works with practicing different stitches.

3 Likes