Tired hands šŸ˜…

Hi everyone!

How do you deal with tired hands from crocheting? Any way to make your hands stronger?

I got to crochet a real lot these days and my hands get tired fast. In the beginning, it was a lot worse and my hands were weaker. Still, I want them to be even more MIGHTY to crochet all day!

Does that come with experience (I only crochet around one year or so)? Is finger gripper any good for this purpose?

13 Likes

My hands didnā€™t get tired but they sweat a lot while Iā€™m crocheting, and this is really annoying. Itā€™s a genetic disease, so it canā€™t be treated. :confused:
But for you I think you should exercise your hands.

8 Likes

Sorry to hear that! :pensive:

Yes I also thought grip training might help

7 Likes

Maybe it will help to take like quick breaks like to just stretch your hands a little, idk how to explain it but like similarly to when youā€™re writing a lot and your hands get tired/crampy. Just some quick stretches might help like to take a little strain of your hands :heart:

At least that helps for me, but if it really starts to hurt bad from crocheting a while itā€™s best to fully rest your hands before doing more crochet

9 Likes

Thank you for suggestion! I stretch but I often go like ā€œokay one more row and Iā€™ll restā€ but then Iā€™d want to finish one more :sweat_smile: should take it more seriously

9 Likes

I totally understand, I did the same but found out that resting really helps a lot, properly rested leads to being able to work longer, compared to just keep pushing ahead without enough rest :grin:

8 Likes

Make sure your grip on your hook isnā€™t too too tight, Iā€™ve done that a lot before :sweat_smile: Also try to stretch your hands if your starting to feel it! Hope this helps :two_hearts:
:orange_heart:Nicole

7 Likes

I used to crochet a lot of amigurumi, made tight to hold shape. I think my right hand got sore for a while, then got used to it. Then I switched to blankets and other stuff that should be crocheted loosely. And just a couple of days ago I picked up my hook to made teddies for my kids. Well, my hand is sore again :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Same! I mostly crochet amigurumis now, so my hands (both!) Are extra sore. Once I was making a shawl and omg it felt so smooth and easy to make :relieved:

8 Likes

I take a tonnn of breaks while crocheting coz my hands hurt after a while! Not just my fingers but my whole arm and wrist.

Please please please take the pain and cramping, if you experience them while crocheting, VERY seriously!!:pleading_face::pleading_face: I know itā€™s super hard to stop crocheting when weā€™re really invested but crocheting for a long duration of time can really mess up our hands.

The pain is only going to increase the more you crochetā€‹:joy: especially if youā€™re not doing finger exercises and giving your hands some much needed break.

Tired, cramped hands plagues Crocheters and Knitters, regardless of experience so donā€™t worry about it being a matter of experience :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Please take good care of yourself and get up and walk away from your crochet project from time to timeā€‹:pleading_face::sparkling_heart:

There are a lot of helpful videos Iā€™ve watched on this-

This one is by LePetitSaint Crochet-
10 ways to stop pain from Crocheting and Knitting

This is by Jayda InStitches-
How I deal with Crochet cramps

This is by Love Crafts-
10 Hand Exercises for Crochet and Knitting

All these videos are full of tips and exercises to reduce pain and cramping while crocheting and knitting. Please do check them out if youā€™re interested!!

10 Likes

Interestingā€¦ all of my hooks are rathet thin, maybe using a thick handle might help

8 Likes

Yes! A thicker needle or one with a comfortable grip does help. Also consider trying out hooks made of different materials like wood, Bamboo, etc. Iā€™ve heard changing hooks this way helps

8 Likes

Yes, using a thicker handle hook will help. I had to get one with a longer handle as my hands are long.
Plus when my tension has to be tight - to prevent pain. I just do a couple rows, tben move to easy crochet project, after a few minutes go back to tight tension on ami again. Back and forth like that.
But when they really hurt i got to stop the tight tension stuff for like a week or so.

8 Likes

I would recommend resting them.

8 Likes

I donā€™t get tired hands! But I would recommend using a thick crochet handle that is ergonomic to help with tired hands!

8 Likes

Thank you, will try!

8 Likes

Iā€™m on my second teddy now. Hand doesnā€™t ache anymore :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I make sure I take a LOT of breaks and stretch out my hands when needed. I know making amigurumi with small yarn and hooks can make your hands EXTRA crampy, so sometimes I wear a wrist wrap for some support. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Take lots of little breaks! And yes, ive found it goes away with time. My wrists havenā€™t burned in months!

5 Likes

I made a huge break, around several months, after which hands were sore and still often times are. I hope it disappears with time again!

5 Likes