What's on Your Hook Today?

What are you working on today? It’s fall here in the US, and I know lots of people are preparing for cooler/colder weather.

I had a long day at the VA yesterday (it’s about 65 miles from my home), so the day after I’m usually a little tired. Soooooo
 today is easy-peasy, mindless stitching. Baby hats for the NICU are the order of the day today. I have all sorts of lovely yarn, and am ready to boost the NICU’s hat supply. I have some pretty colors and prints from Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn, to Caron Simply Soft, as well as some baby yarn from Herrschners, among others. I have 4 or 5 patterns that I rotate through, and the hats are made in a variety of sizes. Easy stitching for my body’s day of recovery!

9 Likes

Wow, that sounds lovely!! Share a picture of all the hats when you’re finished!

Between working on Ribblr full time, and having carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands ( :confounded: ) I haven’t been able to crochet as much as I want to

I am trying to work on a Jumper design, but every 10 minutes or so I have to stop and rest my hands because of the pain!
Hopefully after my appointment next month it will be sorted out, because I clearly can’t put down my hook :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I hear ya!! I have psoriatic arthritis in my hands, and I refuse to give up the hook and my looms! I take care of my hands, and I keep them moving. I was actually being seen for that, in part, yesterday. Ain’t no stopping me!

5 Likes

It is our curse as crafters
 Any other tips for working through the pain?

4 Likes

Hey @Lir, I use a parrafin wax bath for my hands (it’s like the one you find in manicure salons) . It’s a big help for keeping the fingers nimble, and takes the pain, achiness and inflammation down a notch. I also drink homemade bone broth every day (it’s insanely easy to make in your crock pot/slow cooker
 just dump everything in, set it for low, and I let it go for anywhere from 12-24 hours
 low and slow is key here to making great broth). Bone broth, as well as collagen taken in the beverage of your choice daily helps with bone and joint health (as well as hair, skin and nails!)

5 Likes

Oh my, I’m sorry to read about all the pains and aches ! I hope you lovely ladies will be able to continue your crafting.

Your crochet works sound so nice though.

I’d love to see a picture of all the goods you will bring to the NICU, @FlamingoStitcher

@Lir I hope you’ll get the jumper done soon despite the carpal pain. Will this be a new pattern for your shop ?

Me, I’ve been working at my day time job (flowershop) and I’m exhausted !
This week I started crocheting a Buddha, to update my Buddha amigurumi pattern. It needs new pictures and some small changes to the instructions. :slight_smile:
As soon as it’s done I will add it here to Ribblr. I think I will continue crocheting some of the easier parts tonight.

5 Likes

Hi there. Do you have access to anyone who can massage your hands? I do certain exercises —stretching; and massage breaks down the fascia that gets “stuck”.
That paraffin was soaking is so luscious!
I wish you well!

4 Likes

Thank you Marjan!
It’s actually going to be a pattern for Ribblr Free Patterns, hope I can finish it before winter is here
:sweat_smile:

I saw some of your cute buddha dolls! I love them!
After travelling in East Asia and learning about Buddhism a bit, every time I get a little upset or angry in my mind I tell myself: ‘Remember Buddha’, and I calm down :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

@jimmersgal, I stretch and do exercises for my hands periodically through the day. Unfortunately, the only other person here is my 87 year old Mum, and her hands are a hot mess, so no massage for me! Yes, the paraffin wax dip is DIVINE!!

4 Likes

@Lir
I also hope you can finish your jumper before winter hits ! It’s suddenly getting colder here in the Northern parts of Europe, right ? :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the compliments on my Buddha dolls ! Buddha always helps when feeling upset, angry or a bit down. :heart:

4 Likes

I keep forgetting that it gets colder for many parts of the US and Europe before it gets cooler for me (I live in Florida, about 60 miles east of Disney World). It’s still quite hot and steamy here!

2 Likes

Oh nice! How hot is it?
It’s getting colder here in the UK, today it was 5 degrees celsius in the morning (I think it’s around 40F) and windy so quite cold!

2 Likes

It’s 4:45 PM here, and the temp is close to 90F here (just over 32C). We had some afternoon showers, which made things very, very steamy!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure we won’t have 32C for at least 9 months now!

2 Likes

Oh Saar
 my body doesn’t handle cold weather well anymore
 I’m literally in pain when I’m cold. Good thing I live in Florida! I’m pretty bummed out when I have to wear socks, long pants and/or a jacket. I pretty much live in capris, short sleeve shirts and flip flops or sandals a good chunk of the year!

2 Likes

@FlamingoStitcher I used to get paraffin baths for my hands at physical therapy. It was so amazing and always made me feel better! I miss it so much. I’ve been thinking about getting one for at home but I worry about having to keep it on all the time. I’ve been trying to substitute using a warm damp towel and wrapping my hands in it but it doesn’t last as long. :frowning:

3 Likes

Oh my, cooler. Colorado USA here, it has been so very dry, it is alarming. And warm, much too warm for the time of year
I wish our weather could even out, too much rain here, not enough there. But it is good for knitting, crocheting, and other fiber things.

4 Likes

Hi, glad where you live suits you. Yes cold can get in your joints, Colorado front range here, it has been in a drought all summer, but hoping we can get rain soon. Maybe even snow. Like you my hands hurt with it all, but like you too I keep them moving. You inspire me to pick up my needles and just move! Thank you.

2 Likes

@Craftcoffin you don’t have to keep it on all the time
 I never do! It doesn’t take hours on end to melt down the wax for each use. My rheumatologist from the VA ordered one for me, and it has been a lifesaver for me!

1 Like

@Ageless I’m originally from the Northeast. When I retired from the Navy, my parents were living in Florida, so to Florida I went too. My second to the last tour was in NY, and it was a big reminder to me why I hated the winters so much up there. Decided to opt for palm trees and sand between my toes!

Post some pictures of what you start working on
 I’d love to see it!

1 Like