When did you all learn your craft?

I started crocheting quite late I would say, when I was 18, but I was always very creative growing up and was drawn to arts and crafts. I only found out about the existence of crochet at 18! I immediately had to try it out, and as expected - fell in love with it… :purple_heart:
I taught myself by watching video tutorials on youtube… I practiced a lot, and it took me about a year to consider myself intermediate.
I recently started knitting as well, but it’s hard for me to switch from crochet. I find that it feels a bit different, but I’m getting the hang of it!

When and how did you learn your craft(s)?
*In the picture: A Pikachu I made a year into crocheting - my second Amigurumi

28 Likes

I’m 59 now, when I was 11 or 12, I was helping clean my family garage & found a metal cigar tube with a screw top. I opened it & found my late maternal grandmother’s steel crochet hooks. No one else in my family crocheted, so I grabbed my father’s copy of the Readers digest complete guide to needlework & taught myself to crochet. Eventually I used the same book to teach myself how to cast on & knit.

12 Likes

That’s an amazing story!
What do you think made you pick it up?

3 Likes

Not sure why I picked up the cigar tube. No one I knew at the time smoked cigars so I was just curious as to what was in the tube (the crochet hooks in it were heavier than a cigar would be)

My grandma passed away before I was 4 years old, so I wanted to learn because she had been a crocheter, so it was my way of honoring her memory. I still have her hooks. And I still have my dads copy of that readers digest complete guide to needlework book (both my parents are also gone now).

9 Likes

Very emotional and inspiring story! What was the first thing you crocheted?

4 Likes

Too long ago, so I don’t remember. I’ve done more Afghans than anything else.

6 Likes

I was 5 or 6 when I learned to crochet. It was the longest chain in history! :crazy_face:

I learned to knit about 15 -17 years ago from a friend who is left handed. So I made plenty of scarves and such. I think I became a true knitter about 3 years ago. I jumped straight into sock knitting and have now begun two at a time, sweaters, colorwork. I don’t let anything stop me, except steaking, shudder. It just weirds me out to cut your work like that. :joy: I actually now teach others to knit and do a lot of test knitting.

Heather

8 Likes

That’s brilliant! At the age of 5 - that’s impressive. :clap:

4 Likes

Thanks but it really was the longest chain ever!:rofl:

4 Likes

I don’t know how old I was, or who taught me, but I learned how to chain & single crochet as a little girl. I made a couple single crochet scarves in college (“incorrectly” as I thought you where supposed to only use the back loop based on how my grandma did Chevron afghans). Then 1.5 years after my son was born, when I was 25, I decided to learn more. So I scoured blogs and books and read as much as I could. Then I talked to both of my grandmas to get more advice. 10 years later…

6 Likes

I was 18 when a lady at the nursing home I worked at gave me one of those metal weaving looms to make Afghan squares. I made half a blanket’s worth before giving up because of hand pain.
When expecting my 2nd, I taught myself to crochet. Then Tunisian crochet, because I wanted a knit look, but didn’t know how.
When my 6th was born, I taught myself to knit because I wanted to knit socks. 7 years later, I pretty much knit exclusively (I may do a Tunisian blanket again) because crochet kills my wrist.
I taught my girls to knit at ages 7 and 6. They each have a set of Denise needles to see them through.

8 Likes

What a magical story… :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

WOW such a young age to learn! :purple_heart:
I would love to learn knitting from you! I’m such a noob, I only realised a few weeks ago that I was picking up the yarn in reverse on every knit stitch! :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

I love crocheting in the back loop only, especially for accessories! Not a terrible mistake after all :wink:

4 Likes

Mistake might not be the right word, but it wasn’t the intended design :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Hello, I was 8. My mother taught my best friend and me and we did sweaters. She said “1 inch a day,” That was required, and we did it and we finished!

8 Likes

that’s amazing! Simple self-discipline :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I learned crocheting and knitting when I was about 8 or 9, at school, in fiber crafting lessons.
Have always been crafty but while growing up, I thought going out shopping, dancing, dating and such was much more interesting to do, haha !

A lot of time later, around 25 years old, I rediscovered fiber crafts and loved it. Haven’t stopped since, and I’m now addicted to crochet…
It must be in my genes though, my grand mother was an avid knitter, and my mother loved sewing, knitting and crocheting. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That’s amazing Marjan!
It’s so cool that you had fiber crafting lessons. I think lots of kids would benefit from having something like that today! Not just as a therapy but also for the discipline and fulfilment that it brings.
I assume schools don’t do that anymore in the Netherlands?

3 Likes

I like this as a mantra or Moto: 1 inch a day!
Beautiful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes