When did you all learn your craft?

I wish I had fibre craft lesson at school! I had arts and crafts, but it was mainly sculpting, drawing and paper mache…it was still fun though :grin:

4 Likes

How cool! I love that you passed on the live of the craft :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I don’t rember when I start crochet but during my early teen I start knitting. I was 20 when I seriously start knitting though. 3 year ago I started embroidery and cross stitch and a year ago sewing. Crafting really relax me and help with my anxiety and depressions. Without it I wouldn’t be able to function on a daily basis. Now my coworker don’t bat an eye when they see me knitting in the break room, it is actually the opposites they ask me if I am OK when they don’t see me knitting.:joy:

9 Likes

What a beautiful story…:purple_heart: Crafting is such a powerful thing!!!

3 Likes

That’s so funny that they ask “are you okay?” when you’re not knitting! :sweat_smile:
Crafting really is a wonderful thing, especially when it comes to the mental benefits of it. Thank you for sharing and welcome to Ribblr! :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Many people know if my depression has gotten too bad because my “yarning” & housework get neglected

4 Likes

Yes I agree, I think kids should have crafting lessons again.

No, schools in the Netherlands no longer teach fiber crafting. The way we had it back then (oh my, 40 years ago, eeek !) was very old fashioned and stereotype. The girls had to learn fiber crafts, while the boys got to learn woodworking and handle all kind of tools. And I wanted to learn that too, but I wasn’t allowed ! I remember how upset I was, haha ! :smiley:

6 Likes

I wish I had fibre craft lesson at school! I had arts and crafts, but it was mainly sculpting, drawing and paper mache…it was still fun though :grin:

Such a bummer you never got to learn that in school.
I remember, when I was older, about 15/16 years, crafting lessons became more serious and focussed on future profession choices. I then decided I wanted to learn floral arts and became a florist. :slight_smile:

What profession did you chose, before being a crochet designer ?

5 Likes

I was a little girl when I learned to knit - maybe between 5 and 7? I can’t remember the exact age. My grandmother taught me. I didn’t do much knitting in my childhood and teens, but picked it up seriously in my late 20s. I learned to crochet when I was 30 from my mother, and to spin when I was 31. I blame all the podcasts for giving me an interest in making my own yarn. I am a self taught spinner,

5 Likes

That’s amazing, such a young age to learn knitting!! :clap:
I would love to make my own yarn… I think I first need to get my knitting skills to an intermediate level (I need to get used to the different motion, my hands are too used to crochet…) !

4 Likes

Actually, I’ve found that spinning, knitting, and crochet are very different from each other. If you want to try making your own yarn, get yourself some fiber and a spindle and go for it. Spindles give you control to learn better, and when you have the movement down, it’s easier to transition to a wheel, if that’s what you want to do.

I’ve also noticed that people who learned to crochet first do better learning the Continental style of knitting - it mimics crochet more in the hand movement. I wish you good luck in your crafts!

6 Likes

I’m wondering where one could get a spindle… Can you get a good one on Amazon?

That’s what came natural to me!!
Because of the way you hold the yarn…
But up until now I was picking up the yarn from the wrong side when I did my knit stitches, so now I’m getting myself used to picking it up correctly and doing a lot of garter stitch for that :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I honestly don’t know. I find them on etsy. You can get starters kitsch also, that come with a spindle and fiber. That said, it would not surprise me to see them on Amazon…

4 Likes

I will have a look!! Thanks! :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Good luck! Spinning can be a lot of fun.

4 Likes

When I was in middle school. Crocheting I learned from my great grandmother and she gave me a crocheting book and a plastic hook. I have held on to that hook because it was from her. I def like metal hooks better. I am new on this app. I have been looking for a community to be apart of. So glad Combatcrochet suggested it.

5 Likes

That’s such a lovely story!
Thank you for sharing and welcome to Ribblr :purple_heart:

3 Likes

It sounds like we are similar. I started crocheting when I was 24 and just started knitting about a year ago. And I love making stuffed dolls, animals, and other unique things. This looks great!

7 Likes

That’s awesome! Feel free to share a picture :slight_smile:
Oh, and welcome to Ribblr :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Thanks! I have no idea what I’m doing! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes