When did you all learn your craft?

I learned how to knit at 22 just after I got married. The crochet has been creeping in over time since then. I still can’t sew worth a darn. :laughing:

5 Likes

I was a chatty child of four and my grandmother hoped concentrating on crocheting would stop me from talking. It only works for a little while until I got the hang of it. By then she was happy to have a crocheting buddy. after that she taught me embroidery and cross stitch. In my teens, I taught myself to knit, and sewing in my twenties. Crocheting is still my favorite though. The rhythm of it is so soothing.

6 Likes

I was told there are no mistakes. Just “design innovations” :grin:

6 Likes

That’s so sweet :slight_smile:
And welcome to Ribblr! :partying_face:

4 Likes

I learned crochet when I was about 13 and liked ot but didn’t :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: it. I decided to teach myself to knit from a book kit while my hubs was in Iraq for the second time and I had 3 kids under the age of 5. :joy: That was an adventure! When baby #5 came I set down all crafting for a time. The “real” knitting started for me 6 years ago after having a preemie baby and needing something to do in the NICU. Then I also became pretty sick and playing with yarn was a comfort tool.
Life rolls on like it should (mostly) now and my stash is never far away! I now have taught some of my duaghters to knit and actually just started having other tween girl students from our community- so fun!

4 Likes

That’s amazing! Thank you for sharing :pray:
Do you usually knit accessories or clothing?

3 Likes

This past year I challenged myself with sweaters! Its been fun and something that once frightened me is now kinda an obsession! :sweat_smile:🤷

6 Likes

My grandma taught me to crochet when I was a child. As a mother of small children, I crocheted mainly blankets. Several years ago, my granddaughter wanted a mermaid blanket and when I saw the cost, I decided to take up my crocheting again and made her one. I haven’t set my hooks down since. I love to crochet and now that I’m retired, I crochet every day!!

7 Likes

That’s so awesome! Welcome to Ribblr Patti! :purple_heart:

3 Likes

@tygger428 Yep i tell mu students its a “design element” :blush:

4 Likes

Sweaters are hard!
What a beautiful way to transition from fearing something to loving it :purple_heart:

5 Likes

That’s really cool. A beautfiul cycle :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m new to ribblr. My grandmother crocheted and taught me some. I was about 7 or 8 years old. I remember going to a class with my cousin to learn also. Oh my that was a long time ago. I learned to knit when I was 23 but put it down until I was 45. Since then I’m always knitting or crocheting…oh and I sew, embroider, cross stitch, quilt, a bit of everything.

4 Likes

Hello,

I am a COVID crocheter, and am coming up on my one year anniversary of learning to crochet. I love the diversity of projects in crochet, and also that many are practical items.

I have been a life long crafter, in 2019 I taught myself hand sewing and bead embroidery. I crafted outfits for my dance shows.

The yarnie community has been a blessing, and I am thankful to get to know so many wonderful and caring friends.

Have a creative day,
Kim (Affordably Crafty)

5 Likes

That’s amazing! It’s beautiful to see that at least some good came out of the difficult situation, and that more people are picking up crafting! I truly think that crafting is so important for the mind and soul! :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Crafting has always helped me to manage my depression and anxiety.

I have fallen in love with crochet due to its complexity, history, and variety.

Have a creative day,
Kim (Affordbably Crafty)

5 Likes

I learned to crochet right after I got married in 2003, to knit in 2018 and to Tunisian Crochet in 2020.

7 Likes

I started as a young child but really got into it as an adult.
It is now my stress buster!

7 Likes

I learned to crochet 2 years ago. My nephew wanted a blanket made and I said I would love to make it for him.

7 Likes

That’s amazing!!

5 Likes