When did you all learn your craft?

Beautiful!!
I Love that the T-shirt and the Blanket match! :laughing:

5 Likes

I learned to crochet from my mother when I was only 6 years old. I would watch her crochet and knit and I just wanted to jump right in and learn. She was very patient with me and ignited my love of all things creative. Thatā€™s why, when my mom passed away last month, I decided to open a Ribblr shop and donate all my proceeds to Alzheimers in her memory! I canā€™t wait to launch :). I hope to ignite the same passion for fibre craft in others, while raising funds for a great cause.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s wonderful and inspirational :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Thank you Saar!

4 Likes

Thank you so much :blush:

5 Likes

Thank you :blush: He picked the colors himself. It was funny that he wore that color that day!

3 Likes

I used to do something like that too, I used to wrap the yarn around the wrong way on the knit stitch! I am so new at knitting (actually last year I learned but I donā€™t do it very much) and I crochet mostly. Until I asked the person who taught me how to knit I was doing that exact thing :joy:

3 Likes

When I was 6 or 7 the spark for crocheting started. My Mom taught me, and she learned how to from her Nana. I think her Nana taught her around the age my Mom taught me. She hadnā€™t crocheted in quite some time, but she still had the hook she would crochet with when she was younger. Like I said, she hadnā€™t crocheted in quite some time, so after the chain stitch we tried to fiddle around with the yarn and hook to get what I now know is the single crochet stitch (in American terms). That Christmas she got me my very own crochet hook and two balls of speckled yarn, one was pink with little decorative yarn spots of other colors, and the other was a blue with little decorative yarn spots of other colors. I would now consider this yarn special yarn, or yarn Iā€™d splurge on, for I usually get simple one-colored skeins of yarn. When one of my friends came over I taught her how to crochet the chain stitch and we crocheted super long chains we rolled up into balls! I wouldā€™ve had a longer chain than I did if not for the untangling we had to do with the yarn. I own an Etsy shop with that same friend! Weā€™re called NoKittenAroundStudio, and if you have Instagram, please follow us at @nokittenaround_studio! After my Mom got me started on crocheting, I still really didnā€™t know how to work in rows/rounds. Then, when one of my Aunts came to visit a couple of years ago, she taught me how to work in rows and I learned the single crochet stitch. She also taught me either the double crochet stitch or the half-double crochet stitch, I canā€™t remember which (or maybe she taught me both! :relaxed: ). The first real project I crocheted was either a granny square (my Mom would mostly crochet them with her Nana), a coaster, a set of potholders, or a little infinity scarf for a doll. I still have the little left of the ball of yarn my Mom taught me on (this was before I got the yarn and hook for Christmas that year) and the crochet hook she got me for Christmas! I also still have the crochet hook my Mom used when she would crochet with her Nana all those years ago. Last year I learned how to knit from a friend of mine. Sometime this year or last year I learned how to Tunisian Crochet. I learned how to embroider/cross stitch many years ago when I was in Girl Scouts, it was around Christmas time and we were doing it for a badge (of course!). I especially love crocheting Granny Squares and Amigurumi! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thatā€™s my craft journey! :relaxed:

6 Likes

Wow!! Such a journey!! :clap: Thatā€™s the amazing thing about crafting, the journey never ends, you always learn more and get better and learn new skills!! :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Yes totally! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :two_hearts: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

My mom taught me when I was 7 or 8. I was lazy though and didnā€™t count stitches or make anything other than scarves. Now I am 38 and have started making stuffed animals for the nieces and nephews. I am much better now at counting, but need to work on eye placement and attaching heads.

4 Likes

I am 11 right now and I only just learned how to crochet a few moths ago from YT videos. One of friends mom taught me to knit 2 years ago but I never stuck with it but after seeing so may crochet tikoks I decided to try it and I have become a bit obsessed :sweat_smile: my grandmothers mom knew how to crochet and made a few blankets and accessories but my grandmother never decided to learn. I have not really made any big projectsā€¦mostly amigurimi but I would love to try a blanket or somethingā€¦donā€™t know if I have the patience though. I am pretty proud of what I have made for being self taught and only crocheting for 2 months :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I started crocheting in early high school. I learned from watching youtube tutorials. Iā€™m 21 now and loving crochet more every day

5 Likes

for real it was the only thing i new to do lol

2 Likes

I learned to crochet in September 2021. I remember I wanted to make my mom a sweater, but I thought that was a big jump for a beginner. So I made her a scarf.

2 Likes

I leared when I was 8 years old. I use to watch my grandma make her own patterns crocheting. My first item was a pot holder which I gave to her. I crochet for many years before I learned to read patterns. Now I have advanced to making my own designs. I love making American Girl doll clothes. Iā€™ve posted a pic. Happy crocheting to all my Ribblr fans.

4 Likes

I started during the pandemic as a way to cope with my anxiety! Iā€™m 29 now and I wish I knew how helpful crochet could be for anxiety so much sooner! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I canā€™t sew either!!

1 Like

I learned sewing and knitting in high school, from my sewing teacher and from my mother, picked both up pretty quickly. Knitting I find a bit boring for some reason but loved sewing, always wanted to make toys but didnā€™t really have room for my sewing machine. A couple of years after high school, I was looking on Pinterest and came across an crocheted toy and decided to try crocheting, learning from YouTube and a book. I found that I loved crocheting even though I donā€™t find it easy and I get to make toys, like I always wanted too =)

2 Likes