Why did you start crocheting?

Welcome @ThornWingCrochet !!!

6 Likes

i was running a stuffed animal restoration shop, and found there was very much a plushie community. in that community, i started seeing a lot of amigurumi. i thought the blanket yarn ones were really cute, and i started to get burnt out on plushie repair. i bought the basic crochet supplies, and since then iā€™ve made four projects! i started in may. iā€™ve been enjoying it a lot. itā€™s just tedious enough for me to where iā€™m discouraged to monetize the hobby. so that makes me enjoy it way more for what it is.

9 Likes

Thanks for the welcome! I found this site on @altknotsā€™ recommendation. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome @dirt ! We all have a good time round here.

7 Likes

My mother loved to knit during her free time and I really wanted to knit too, she thought I wouldnā€™t be as persistent if she let me do something so she dumped a hook and some yarn thought me how to make a bunch of flowers. When she realized I really wanted to knit, so she taught me. Years later after I stopped kinting, my grandmother got me a crochet hook and I decided to learn how to properly crochet. I made a lot of tiny things a lot of cute aurigamis, going up to making my first scarf. I really enjoy crocheting!

7 Likes

How amazing!!! Youā€™re going to do great!!! Youā€™ll have to show us when youā€™re done!!!

8 Likes

So glad that you have found something that helps you! Crochet does the same for me! Hoping that things in your life are much better now! Nothing at all to be ashamed of! You are amazing!!!

7 Likes

Iā€™m a little late to this ā€œgameā€ (as they say)ā€¦
I learned as a child, but I couldnā€™t tell you what age or which grandma taught meā€¦ I remember doing various crafts with (maternal) Grandma, but not specifically crochet, before I was 10; I also remember specifically making crochet edgings on socks with my (paternal grandma) Mammaw around 12yrsā€¦ So it could have been either one)
Besides the socks and occasional scarves (which were always single crochet in the back loop only, because Grandma always made ripple blankets in sc in BLO), I didnā€™t do much until 2011ā€¦ My son was about 18 months, I needed an activity, and wanted to make him thingsā€¦ So I scoured books and such to learn more than my limited baseā€¦ In 2012, I wanted to learn knitting, but my own disappointment in my first project (that wasnā€™t really a project) had me setting it downā€¦ In 2013 I designed my first crochet pattern, and have designed a few more since thenā€¦ Then I decided to tackle knitting again, this time using YouTubeā€¦ It stuck!
I have a shawl idea in my head (been there since 2015) that will use both knit and crochet to honor Mammaw who did both, and another crochet shawl idea in my head (since 2017) for Grandmaā€¦ But there are idea pieces missing, and techniques to master to finish either of them :woman_shrugging:t3:

7 Likes

At Christmas of 2020 I got a computer and my great grandmother had yarn and a crochet hook. Then, I searched up how to crochet and here I am now. :grin:

8 Likes

Well, i was 7 and i wanted to crochet, i didnā€™t succeed, for 3 years. I was so happy and even while it was an ugly curly thing. Now i am crocheting for 2 yearsā€‹:grin:

9 Likes

I started to honor my grandma! She got diagnosed with Alzheimerā€™s and she would crochet a blanket for every baby that was welcomed to the family and I want to keep that going!

8 Likes

@dirt
Yea, i think i hear what youā€™re saying. If it was a job, i wouldnā€™t enjoy it as much.

5 Likes

A young nerdy at the ago of 5 was taught to crochet, a few years later she taught me to knit but I donā€™t pick up the needles as often. 22 years later and itā€™s my main craft, I love both how intricate a pattern can be, or how portable i can make it. Itā€™s such a diverse craft that has thoroughly taken over my entire desk.

8 Likes

I started crocheting when I was 5, watching my mom. Crocheted on & off for many yrs but I got back into it full-time when our baby brother passed away last yr. Itā€™s been my therapy, Iā€™ve made a little money off of it but mostly do it for our grandbabies & other family.

10 Likes

When the pandemic hit, my ability to sit down and watch TV shows just disappeared. I had to be doing something with my hands. Usually it was scroll through instagram. Crocheting and knitting became popular and I knew I had hooks and yarn from the times my grandma tried to teach me how to crochet, so I grabbed those and followed some patterns. Now I crochet while watching shows instead of instagram lol.

9 Likes

Mine is similar! I was about 5 and was always watching mom do it, so she showed me how! I made clothes and items for my toys :joy:

9 Likes

i was on youtube one day and i saw a video titled ā€œeverything ive ever crochetedā€. i donā€™t remember the name of the person that made the video, but watching that video made me want to learn to crochet. so i did :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I wanted to crochet a sweater for my momā€™s birthday. I realized I couldnā€™t do that so I made a scarf! I continued crocheting from there! The date was around sep 6

7 Likes

@noel-is-crocheting
I learned to crochet in 2019. My family and I were at a Samā€™s Club and they had a Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer Crochet Amigurumi Kit. It was so cute, that we bought it. When we got home, my sisters and mom tried to understand/learn to crochet but couldnā€™t so they put it in the closet, and we forgot about it :woman_shrugging: (this was in 2018).
A few months later, I watched a Youtube video on how to crochet, and I have been obsessed with making crochet things since then. (Sadly though, my mom got rid of the kit before I learned how to crochet.). :neutral_face:

8 Likes

I love rainbow loom! :smiley:

6 Likes