I’ve lost my motivation

I have ADHD and I’ve lost motivation to crochet, so anybody have any tips to getting it back??

13 Likes

Find a fun pattern ! Find something you’ve always wanted to make & take your time ! Dont feel like you have to hurry up and finish it. Listen to some music . Just enjoy yourself

5 Likes

Okay!! I can try that

6 Likes

Have a look through the free patterns and see what grabs your interest
Don’t pressure yourself that will make it worse

5 Likes

I ask my partner and parents if they have any requests, and make it for them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I linked a post to here on some great ways to get inspiration, this definitely could help inspire you to crochet! Whether that inspiration will be making a pattern or inspiration to crochet a pattern :smile: feel free to look through it if you like, I hope it helps! :grin:

3 Likes

ADHD is all about serotonin chasing (I’m an autist with ADHD - neurodivergent fist bump! lol), so give your brain some crochet themed serotonin to chase!

You can try forbidding crochet for a day or so while you look through cute patterns and watch crochet YouTube to build up some anticipation, or trying a new technique, or crocheting in a different place or with a unique material (t-shirt ‘yarn’, plastic bag strips, etc.).

Find something novel for your brain to chew on and I bet it’ll reward you with some motivation.

Most importantly, be kind to yourself. :heart:

7 Likes

I actually have a post specifically about getting motivation for neurodivergents.

3 Likes

Im neurodivergent too and have trouble with motivation. I personally prefer not to force it. Because making myself do something makes it less fun. The motivation eventually comes back… although i admit sometimes it takes me over a year for it to come back lol.

But ye, im big on dropping stuff instead of forcing it. And usually i find other fun stuff to do during my break from crochet Like i learned whittling, and crosstitching, and diamond painting, and loads of other crafts. And i always eventually come back to crochet.

4 Likes

I get this a lot. What I usually do is just take a break, learn to knit, play video games. Or you can even continue to crochet and look on pinterest for fun patterns, or look for inspiration. If you go on YouTube and watch ComplicatedKnots you can watch some of her frekenstien videos, and go on her discord and find random parts to patterns and make something out of them. Or what I like to do is get a note book, and write randomly write down rounds or rows for a pattern. For example like 1. 6 in a magic circle, round 2. Inc, Round 3 sc, inc, 10 sc. Round 4. 3 inc, 10 sc. Etc. Make sure your not writing down parts to an existing pattern, just write down random stuff and make the shapes and create something out of. Be creative. Let me know if you need me explain anything more.

4 Likes

I’m just replying so I get notifications from it don’t mind me…

3 Likes

Gamification is a great hack in my experience! Set little goals and rewards for yourself. Maybe every day you crochet you get a point, and after you accumulate a number of points you get to buy something nice for yourself. Maybe you get a point for each FO you make. There are tons of ways to do it!

I also find watching crochet content helpful on Youtube and Tiktok, because it helps me get inspired and want to make things.

Also, I’ve kind of just accepted that my hobbies in general are things that I flit back and forth between. One month I’ll be really into crocheting, and then I won’t touch it at all for a few months because I’ll be obsessed with something else, and eventually I’ll bounce back. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that, and if that’s just how your brain functions, so be it!

4 Likes

I have also struggled with this lately. I’ve found crocheting in different places helps! especially getting out of my room. I used to crochet at school a lot and I got a ton done. if you’ve got free time, throwing on a video you like in the background and setting up a new pattern you’re excited about is great. I’m enjoying how Halloween/fall posts have already started up so if you like that, make some spooky fall items! <33

3 Likes